Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
We are looking for full-time instructors:
Our Data Science Immersive is a life-changing educational experience where our students learn the skills and mindsets to take on new careers as web developers. We are looking for Instructors with strong Python experience to play a key role at our Singapore Campus.
Why teach our Data Science Immersive?
If you are looking to make a life-changing impact by sharing your love for data science with the next generation, we’d love for you to consider joining our team. As an instructional associate in our DSI course, you will have the opportunity to shape the vision and delivery of the course materials.
We deliver more than just skills training, and are looking for teachers who share our vision for a community of lifelong learners pursuing work that they love. As a full-time instructional associate for our full-time data science program, you will work with our instructional team to:
- Work closely with one or more Lead Instructors to guide students through a rigorous, transformational journey towards apprenticeship in software development.
- Become a better teacher, leader, and mentor as you learn from veteran instructors and our world-class instructional coaches.
- Inspire and support students as they identify their passions and drive their own continued learning beyond the curriculum.
- Adapt our global curriculum and use it to guide your teaching, building your own lesson plans as needed and contributing back your lessons learned over time.
- Facilitate a safe, supportive, and energetic community that welcomes the various needs and learning styles of your students.
- Identify and implement best practices for using online resources to maximize student engagement
What do we teach?
We adapt both our global curriculum and local approach to the technical trends and hiring environment of the times and cities we work in, but for our online program our primary educational approach centers around Python and SQL. In general, our curriculum is scaffolded to follow the historical evolution of data science. The course will primarily focus on Python and SQL, and students will have the opportunity to learn about R and Machine learning. We also cover all sorts of other things that junior data scientists need to know, like source control, team collaboration, and developer workflow.
We give students the chance to spend focused time building at least 4 major projects, in addition to other smaller projects and labs. About 20% of overall class time is spent on dedicated project work.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- You are the person that your colleagues naturally gravitate to when they are trying to figure something out.
- You are eager to shape the skills, minds, and careers of the newest generation of data scientists.
- You are eager to teach in an online environment
- You have working experience in both front-end and back-end development, and are fluent in:
- You are very strong in SQL, Python, and related Python libraries (pandas, numpy).
- You have domain expertise in statistics, mathematics, and probability.
- You can build and apply statistical models in python using machine learning libraries, such as scikit-learn and stats models.
- You have a deep understanding of statistical hypothesis testing and experimental design, data visualization techniques and tools (i.e. matplotlib, bokeh, etc), and manipulation of large data sets.
- You can demonstrate and explain the function of machine learning algorithms such as regularized regression, naive bayes, decision trees, ensemble methods, KNN, K-means clustering, and neural networks.
- You are the person your colleagues naturally gravitate to when they are trying to figure something out.
- You are eager to shape the skills, minds, and trajectories of the newest generation of data scientists.
Nice to haves:
- You have proficiency with NLP python libraries such as NLTK; Hadoop or Apache Spark; D3.js or R.
- You are on top of industry trends in big data, machine learning, deep learning, and AI.
- You have previous data science or engineering teaching experience, through a course, workshop, team training, etc.
Role & Responsibilities
- Ensure that students meet graduation requirements
- Meet consistently with a designated group of students in your cohort to chart their progress and provide ongoing support
- Responsible for the growth and development of a cohort of students within the class
- Foster a collaborative, community-minded learning environment
- Ongoing student communication around course progress
- Homework support and grading feedback
- Assist with lesson planning and creation