General Assembly (GA) is a global educational company. Focusing on the most relevant and in demand skills across data, design, business and technology, General Assembly is empowering a global community to pursue work they love through best-in-class instruction and access to opportunities. GA works with students online and in person across 15 campuses around the world and thousands of companies as partners in course development and graduate placement as well as through GA’s corporate training and development business. Additionally, GA’s focus on affordable and accessible education combined with our education-to-employment approach is helping to create a diverse talent pipeline.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to teach our new full time class:
Our Data Science Immersive course is a brand-new, life-changing educational experience where students leave with the skills and mindsets to take on new careers as Data Analysts and Scientists. We are looking for an instructor to spearhead this transformation through leading General Assembly’s Data Science Immersive course.
We are hiring a full-time Data Science Instructor in Atlanta and Seattle and willing to relocate an amazing data scientist for the position either temporarily (14 weeks total) or permanently.
Why teach our Data Science Immersive?
If you are looking to make a life-changing impact by sharing your love for software development with the next generation of developers, we’d love for you to consider joining our team. We deliver more than just skills training, and are looking for teachers who share our vision for a community of lifelong learners pursuing work that they love. As a full-time teacher for our flagship full-time web development program, you will join us on one of our many campuses to:
- Work closely with one or more co-instructors to guide students through a rigorous, transformational journey towards roles as data analysts and scientists
- Become a better leader, and mentor as you learn from veteran instructors and our world-class instructional coaches.
- Inspire and support students as they identify their passions and drive their own continued learning beyond the curriculum.
- Adapt our global curriculum and use it to guide your teaching, building your own lesson plans as needed and contributing back your lessons learned over time.
- Facilitate a safe, supportive, and energetic community that welcomes the various needs and learning styles of your students.
Skills and Qualifications
You have at least 2+ years of professional data science experience.
- You are eager to shape the skills, minds, and trajectories of the newest generation of data scientists.
- You are the person that your colleagues naturally gravitate to when they are trying to figure something out.
- Must Haves:
- You are an expert in SQL, Python and related Python libraries (pandas, numpy).
- You have fluency in the following topics: statistics; manipulation of large data sets; data visualization techniques and tools such as Tableau, matplotlib; machine learning algorithms such as naive bayes, SVMs, decision trees, KNN, K-means clustering.
- Nice to haves:
- You are on top of big data trends
- You have previous data science or engineering teaching experience, through a course, team training, etc.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Teach eight hours a day, five days a week, for 12 weeks.
- Instructors will need to commit 10 - 20 hours a week to working with us on curriculum/preparing to teach.
- Work closely with two – three co-instructors or teaching assistants to provide students with meaningful and prompt feedback on their progress.
- Work alongside GA staff and teaching team to best meet the needs and learning styles of your students.
- Guide students through development of a stellar final project that will showcase their abilities to hiring managers.
- Facilitate a dynamic and collaborative classroom community.
- Inspire students to persevere through the challenges of solving user experience design problems.
- Directing Others
- Technical Skills in UX Design
- Motivating Others
- Presentation Skills
- Time Management
- Managing Diversity
General Assembly is a licensed school in all states that we operate in, and some states require instructors to be licensed to teach. If hired, you will be required to submit and be approved as an instructor in relevant states. Directions for becoming licensed will be shared with you during onboarding. Licensure requirements vary by state, but you may be required to provide academic transcripts and to answer questions pertaining to moral character, professional conduct, education, and work history. General Assembly will pay for all licensing fees.