Sr. Researcher/Designer, UX
The Senior UX Researcher/Designer is responsible for owning the entire UX process including user research, wireframing, prototyping, usability testing, and final UI design for the General Assembly website. This individual can confidently justify design decisions based on research and a thorough understanding of user-centered design methodologies and best practices.
This role is part of a cross-functional team with engineering and product advising on the best approach to support the business and user goals. As a member of the centralized User Experience team, this individual will also contribute to team feedback sessions, process improvements, and evangelizing UX across the company. The ideal candidate will thrive in a work environment that requires strong independent problem-solving skills and self-direction while fostering collaboration both inside and outside the team.
- Ensure that our website attracts, informs, and enables customers across segments to accomplish their goals and support business objectives
- Establish research objectives, strategy, methods, and expected outcomes
- Conduct and coordinate usability studies including interviews, usability testing, card sorting, tree testing, and other research
- Review and analyze behavioral website metrics
- Synthesize data and findings into succinct reports and focused points of view that inspire and inform design and business decisions
- Create actionable design documentation such as personas and journey maps to clearly communicate our users’ needs with stakeholders and the company at large
- Facilitate collaboration workshops with stakeholders such as design studios
- Create user flows, wireframes, and prototypes to test and iterate on the best possible solution
- Create final UI designs and design specifications to clearly communicate design recommendations to stakeholders and engineers
- Conducts design quality assurance testing to ensure the final product matches design specifications
- Maintain design system and experience design standards to ensure consistency across the product ecosystem
- Actively participate in the cross-functional agile team ceremonies, collaborating with product managers and engineers to build the right products and features for users and the business
- Experience working with stakeholders to uncover research goals and requirements
- Demonstrated skill in planning and conducting usability testing and user interviews
- Working knowledge of other qualitative research methods, including heuristic evaluations, card sorting, tree testing, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and analyze study findings, present results, and make recommendations based on data
- Ability to understand and articulate the underlying causes for usability issues
- Ability to adapt processes and deliverables when necessary to meet project needs
- Passion for understanding users’ behaviors and sharing that knowledge with your team and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated understanding of usability and UI best practices
- Working knowledge of W3C accessibility guidelines
- Functional knowledge of conversion rate optimization best practices
- Experience working with analytics platforms such as Google Analytics
- Functional understanding of A/B testing best practices
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to make detailed information understandable
- Experience interacting with technical teams and handing off design deliverables
- Experience with design and prototyping tools such as Figma, Mural, and InVision
- A knack for juggling several projects, managing time efficiently, and prioritizing appropriately
- 4-8 years of experience conducting user research and designing interfaces based on usability best practices
- Experience working on a marketing website and collaborating with Acquisition Marketing stakeholders
- Working knowledge of Google Analytics or other web analytics programs
- Familiarity with the Agile software development process
- Experience in mentoring Junior researchers/designers
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.