Who We Are
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
The goal of the Career Coach is to ensure students are supported as they start to think about their next professional steps and graduates are prepared and confident in their job search. A balance of ensuring that graduates are empowered to find jobs in a timely manner, as well as find roles that they are passionate about, is critical for this role.
This is a full-time remote position in the US.
- Manages a robust pipeline of students and graduates in our Flex and Full-time immersive programs through scalable and innovative programming initiatives, one-on-ones, employer engagement
- Responds to students and job seeker needs to identify challenges and mitigate areas of struggle to develop cohesive and intentional action plans
- Strives to understand and engage the local tech scene and incorporate this community and perspective as much as possible.
- Serves as an accountability and thought partner to students and local GA teammates (Instruction, Admissions, Marketing) and communicates a consistent, thoughtful, and unified message
- Delivers meaningful programs that meet the Outcomes Baseline Commitment and incorporates the 5 Themes to Outcomes Success to reinforce best practices and empower job seekers to lead a successful and strategic job search
- Job Coach & Career Counselor - Ensure all job-seeking students & graduates have a smooth transition from the classroom to job seeking and that they feel supported during this process. Reduce anxiety for students & graduates around their job search through clear communication. Help students identify their personal goals to best impact their job search & educational experience.
- Content Delivery - Educate students & graduates of immersive programs on skills needed to transition careers into tech and perform an effective job search. Lead both recurring one-on-one sessions and group facilitation based programming with our Flex and Fulll-time students (who take our immersive program outside of their Full-Time job responsibilities. Be available and willing to flex your schedule to start the day later and deliver weekly pre-scheduled evening workshops.
- Career Content Creation - Work with teams at GA that are responsible for curriculum to highlight updates as needed and create new student-facing resources. Be a key thought partner in the curriculum and resource creation. Continuously innovate on career resources and programming.
- Internal Team Connector - Utilize and coordinate with GA community resources as needed to acquire additional educational opportunities (mock technical interviews, project feedback, etc.)
- Risk Management - Track student progress and highlight to teammates and stakeholders when a student isn’t doing well or falling out of communication. Also, ensure that we’re putting quality, qualified grads into our community.
Skills & Qualifications
- Familiarity with the tech (software engineering, data science, UI/UX) landscape; previous experience working in some facet of the tech industry. Awareness of the tech job market and breadth of opportunities.
- Passionate about education, technology, and careers.
- Previous higher education, tech recruiting or career counseling/coaching experience a plus.
- Comfortable presenting both one-on-one and delivering to a large group.
- Able to give constructive, positive feedback to people of diverse professional and life backgrounds.
- Previous personal job search experience, and an ability to be relatable.
- Resourceful; able to pull educational resources from the community and to tailor lesson plans/meetings based on graduate needs.
- Able to manage a large volume of requests and organize systems to keep track of students in various stages. Highly organized & data conscious.
- High emotional intelligence; able to empathize with others and can handle other people’s stress.
- Customer Focus - Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
- Instills trust - Gains the confidence and trust of others through honest, integrity, and authenticity.
- Ensures Accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Communicates Effectively - Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Drives Results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.