Who We Are:
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 50,000 alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly is looking for a General Counsel who will be a strategic business partner and serve as a key member of our senior leadership team. The ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated, business-minded attorney who enjoys operating autonomously, can manage multiple projects and competing priorities comfortably, and brings extraordinary judgment and interpersonal skills to the role. We are looking for candidates who are excited about advising on a broad range of legal and compliance issues, leading a global team, and who have a demonstrated track record of collaborating with diverse groups of stakeholders and marshaling resources to get things done in a complex and fast-growing global business environment.
What You'll Do:
- Serve as a strategic thought partner and legal advisor on global business strategy, including complex commercial transactions, international expansion, business development, student financing and access and new product and program launches.
- Regularly collaborate with business team members across functional areas, including enterprise sales, consumer operations, finance, HR, marketing, and product.
- Proactively and creatively evaluate risk factors impacting business decisions, help to balance risk management vs. business opportunity and growth, and anticipate legal issues that could impact the company.
- Develop a deep knowledge of the laws and regulations applicable to our business as a non-degree granting education provider and anticipate legislative and regulatory changes that may affect the company, including in the areas of privacy, labor and employment, and other industry-specific regulations.
- Oversee regulatory team and ensure General Assembly is in compliance with all federal, state, and local education regulatory filings and requirements.
- Advise on and operationalize current and future business structures and legal entities, enabling new business growth around the world.
- Architect and ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Advise on corporate governance and compliance matters, including the development and implementation of the organization's policies and procedures.
- Manage, develop, coach, support, and build a global legal and regulatory team, strengthening leadership and promoting career growth. Align performance objectives with the company's strategic goals.
- Oversee the operations of the legal and regulatory team to effectively serve the organization's needs; determine the optimal balance between an internal team and external counsel. Oversee the selection, retention, management and evaluation of outside counsel, ensuring legal costs are managed effectively.
- Develop and manage the Legal & Regulatory budget and P&L.
- Develop processes to streamline and scale the Legal & Regulatory team’s efforts to create efficiencies and reduce friction for the team.
- Act as a "player-coach" by simultaneously setting the vision of the Legal & Regulatory team and working alongside the team to get things done.
- Manage relationships with counterparts at publicly-listed parent company.
- 12+ years of progressive legal experience working in corporate law with 5+ years working in-house, ideally in a GC-level role or managing a team of attorneys. Experience working in technology and/or education companies with a global footprint is a plus.
- Direct experience with a variety of legal matters, including strategic business agreements, commercial contract negotiation, information security and compliance, privacy, corporate governance, labor and employment, intellectual property and in helping companies understand and shape government policy / regulations.
- Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of GA and our industry, including relevant education and consumer protection regulations.
- Highly effective at working autonomously while also able to build collaborative relationships and work strategically across the organization, managing a complex group of internal stakeholders to get input and buy-in as required.
- Demonstrated drive for results and ability to prioritize risks and projects to focus on what’s important in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial (sometimes chaotic) environment.
- Flexible and adaptive to the continuously changing requirements and demands of the role, and able to take a pragmatic, common-sense approach to finding solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to roll up sleeves to get things done.
- Highly discreet and confidential, with ability to build and maintain trustworthy relationships with demonstrated integrity, discretion and insight.
- Excellent planning and organization skills; meticulous attention to detail is a must.
- Strong academic credentials and admission in good standing in your state.