Who We Are
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
We're on the hunt for a curious, creative and resourceful instructional designer (contractor) who can conceive and develop exciting and engaging materials for GA’s flagship online product “Certified Marketer 1” (CM1). This is an online asynchronous learning experience for entry level marketers, sold to our enterprise clients. The contract would be for a total of 4-6 months and is full-time, beginning in mid-August 2021.
This is an individual with strong communication skills and a professional education background, who is able to balance sophisticated, business-savvy content creation with fun and interactive learning activities.
Instructional Designers play a key role in designing new learning experiences and improving existing materials for GA’s campuses, clients, and online learners. In collaboration with product managers and subject matter experts (SMEs), they architect the structure of a course, write compelling learning objectives, manage SME contributions to the project and develop the learning content. They are responsible for producing written lessons and learner materials, with support from in-house graphic and video teams. Our work is done in an agile, iterative fashion, with a healthy mix of collaborative team ideation and focused, self-directed design time.
- Using the predetermined marketing skills framework, work with SMEs to determine the number of levels of skills per skill in the framework and use it to audit current content.
- Manage production of curriculum materials for CM1 including developing outlines and content for SMEs to react to and iterate on.
- In partnership with SMEs, develop assessment questions, answers and answer explanations for a variety of assessments.
- Effectively direct and utilize limited instructor/subject-matter expert time to validate and improve lessons, content and assessments.
- Develop Knowledge Check prompts and responses.
- Write highly engaging materials that reflect GA’s brand voice and mission.
- Work iteratively with product owners to ensure that all materials are optimized for student and business outcomes.
- Participate in meetings with internal stakeholders.
- Develop content for the video and graphics team to use for production.
Execution and maintenance:
- Create supporting materials to help internal teams effectively onboard and use course materials.
- 4-6 years experience creating educational content for adult learners.
- You have experience managing instructional staff and subject matter experts to contribute expertise to course materials.
- You have demonstrable capabilities in research, writing, curriculum development, eLearning development, and/or content creation.
- You’re familiar with competency based learning and personalized learning.
- You can articulate how learning in a business context differs from K-12 and university learning, and can effectively design courses to meet those needs.
- You understand what makes a learning experience interesting and engaging and bring fresh ideas to a course.
- You can unpack surface level requests and information to find out the real questions or problems underneath (in user and SME interviews).
- You are well-versed in looking to qualitative and quantitative data to find opportunities for improvement.
- You’re comfortable in a fast-paced work environment, where you will manage your own time and work with both local and remote team members.
- You’re a natural storyteller and writer with a strong command of writing, spelling, and grammar for materials written in English for an international audience.
- You have extreme attention to detail.
- Experience in the marketing discipline is a plus.
- Teaching experience is a plus.