Who Are We?
Our vision is of a global community of individuals empowered to pursue the work they love. Our mission is to grow that community by transforming millions of thinkers into creators.
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting.
The VP of Technology is responsible for establishing the company’s technical vision, developing and maintaining the non-functional (technology and architecture) product roadmap and leading all aspects of GA’s technical ecosystem. Through a combination of vendor and proprietary solutions, the VP of Technology will be responsible for a strategy that focuses on the integration and configuration of tools to deliver a best in class customer experience across GA’s instructor-led, blended, and asynchronous product experiences. As a member of the Product leadership team, the VP of Technology will report directly to GA’s Chief Product Officer (CPO). This role will work closely with the leadership team in order to ensure alignment between tech related product work and goals of the business, as well as being the voice and driver of technology throughout all facets of the GA business.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensure that the business objectives and product goals are fully understood and that the objectives are met according to expectations, on budget, and on time.
- Create and manage tech budget and available full time and contract resources (i.e., team capacity).
- Collaborate and provide thought leadership on technical opportunities, integrations and innovative ideas aligned with the GA product strategy.
- Develop and maintain a technology and architectural vision and non-functional roadmap for the product portfolio.
- Manage 3rd party vendor relationships and drive development, integration, and implementation of these tools across GA’s ecosystem.
- Supervise and mentor development teams in Agile methodologies (including engineering, QA, DevOps) to ensure successful delivery of product releases within agreed time frames, scope and budget.
- Lead migration initiatives which position GA to move from legacy technologies into long-term scalable solutions.
Following are the key requirements for this role:
- 10+ years of leadership experience with technical consumer and enterprise products
- Experience in managing a distributed engineering or product organizations with dynamic needs.
- Excellent commercial judgement, communication, and executive presence that result in the ability to work effectively with GA leadership and external clients.
- A willingness to create, identify and leverage cutting-edge technologies at an enterprise level.
- Demonstrable process management experience in an SDLC environment of continual change.
- Education Technology industry experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, Mathematics, Engineering or a related major or equivalent work experience. Masters in a related field is preferred.