Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly is seeking an Instructor Manager to drive high quality learning experiences for our remote campus.
General Assembly’s success depends on the passion and quality of our instructional teams, which are made up of top industry professionals from a variety of fields including data science, software development and design. In addition to hiring, coaching and supporting these individuals, the Instructor Manager plays a leadership role within the online team, identifying and leading strategic initiatives that have an impact across the entire GA network.
This is a 100% remote position.
- Managing course instructors including hiring, staffing, onboarding, training, and coaching
- Oversee live online courses including instructional quality, student orientation, student experience, and successful completion
- Conduct regular evaluations of instructional quality for each course
- Facilitate successful completion of all online and in-person instructor training for new instructors
- Manage professional behavior, retention and ongoing professional development and growth of instructors
- Be the second line of defense for student learning issues; be responsible for mediating conflict and defusing challenging situations in a positive, empathetic and professional manner
- Work with instructors to strategize solutions for students who have unique learning needs, including the creation of student support plans or IEPs.
- Monitor and manage course quality and progress by regularly reviewing exit tickets and student surveys; formulate action plans based on data
- Participate in globals meetings with instructional counterparts across markets
- Proficient in instructional best practices such as lesson planning, differentiation, assessments, student data analysis, and the creation of strong classroom climates
- Prior experience managing multiple people or teams
- Able to confidently give constructive, positive feedback to people of diverse professional and personal backgrounds.
- Highly organized and able to help manage observation, videos, and other performance documentation.
- A “growth mindset” attitude towards teaching as a craft
- High emotional intelligence; an ability to empathize with others
- Familiarity with or subject matter expertise in one or more of the disciplines we teach