Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
The Creative Director (CD) at General Assembly (GA) is a strategist and visionary who sits at the intersection of brand, business, and the customer journey. This agile leader is tasked with owning the GA story and creative best practices. They draw from a deep well of professional experience to galvanize audiences and elevate GA’s story across a broad range of channels and business goals.
This is a leadership position that reports directly to the Co-Chief Operating Officer. The CD works closely with executives and other senior leaders across marketing, enterprise, product, and technology to create company-wide roadmaps and execute projects across GA’s global team needs. In this capacity, the CD synthesizes information from a variety of sources to inform creative strategy and create clear, useful, and delightful experiences for both the internal GA team and our consumer and enterprise communities around the world.
Overseeing the copy, visual design, video, UX, and creative operations functions, the CD understands the needs and nuances of all of these disciplines and how they intersect with each other. The ideal person for this role is a player-coach, who is as comfortable leading a team as they are rolling up their sleeves and jumping into production work as needed. An outstanding leader, they have the management chops and multidisciplinary skill set to support and mentor our talented team leaders as they collaborate cross-functionally to bring projects to life.
- Provide overall direction on the narrative, visuals, brand voice while ensuring highest-of-quality across creative assets and experiences.
- Conceptualize and execute on large scale, multi-channel B2B and B2C marketing campaigns.
- Develop long-form and multimedia thought leadership content in partnership with stakeholders.
- Build, manage, and mentor the copy, design, UX, video, and operations functions as they develop and execute projects.
- Guide creative team leads to align and organize assets, experiences, styles, and narratives across global collateral, including GA’s brand book and style guides.
- Leverage user research and insights to improve conversion and the consumer journey.
- Collaborate with executives and business stakeholders to solve problems and innovate while moving the business forward.
- Define and advocate for creative functions and how they intersect with workstreams across the organization.
- Champion great creative work and user experience, and continually push the boundaries on what that means.
- Minimum 10 years of experience with tenure as an editorial director, art director, or creative hybrid within advertising, design, marketing, creative production, or a similar area.
- Minimum 4+ years of experience leading and nurturing a multi-functional team and delivering projects from start to finish.
- Exemplary written, oral, and presentation skills.
- Dexterity in translating and executing creative concepts and narratives across online and offline channels.
- A deep understanding of UX principles, unfettered empathy for our users/learners/clients/customers, and proven experience working directly with interaction designers, researchers, and content strategists.
- A strong portfolio of proven, high-performing creative work that meets business, user and brand needs.
- A collaborative mindset to both generate and build upon solutions and strategies.
- The ability to thrive in ambiguity and provide guidance and structure for others.
- A self-motivated and positive attitude, with a passion for storytelling and innovation.
- Experience with industry tools including: Google Docs, Adobe CS, InVision, Miro, Sketch, JIRA, Slack, custom CMS, and Confluence.