Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly is seeking a Instructor Manager to drive high quality learning experiences on our Washington D.C. campus.
General Assembly’s success depends on the passion and quality of our instructional teams, which are made up of top industry professionals from a variety of fields including data science, software development and design. In addition to hiring, coaching and supporting these individuals, the Instructor Manager plays a leadership role within the local team, identifying and leading strategic initiatives that have an impact across the entire GA network.
- Identifying, selecting, and onboarding promising industry professionals for instructional roles
- Managing the professional behavior, retention and ongoing professional development and growth of 15-30 direct reports, including instructors of Immersive and Part-Time courses.
- Planning and scheduling of instructors to ensure that all classrooms are properly staffed
- Observing instruction and providing coaching feedback to address issues and support continuous growth of instructors
- Partnering with the local team to triage and support issues as they arise with instructors, students and other stakeholders
- Partnering with the Sr. Regional Director to facilitate team meetings, plan professional development of staff and execute on key strategic initiatives
- Demonstrated expertise in successfully managing large teams
- Previous experience in education, adult learning or corporate training highly preferred
- Proven ability to coordinate across team functions to get large, strategic projects across the goal line
- Proven ability to contribute as part of a leadership or management team
- Business acumen: understands what drives the GA business today, what will drive it in the future, and how quality instruction plays a role in that
- Proficiency in hiring and building teams
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Team building: ability to inspire and engage a team of top performers to do their best
- Self-direction: Someone who can jump in and do an amazing job with minimal guidance at times.
- Comfort with ambiguity: deeply driven by the business goals and able to forge forward, even when the information is limited or updates are delayed.
- Willingness to collaborate: Is open to feedback and collaboration, and committed to transparency.