Who We Are
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
We are seeking an Education Content Manager to join our instructional design team in delivering the highest quality instructional content to General Assembly’s instructors and learners.
GA has numerous instructor-led courses that are delivered in classrooms and online within our enterprise and consumer businesses. With hundreds of lessons and thousands of learners, we need a sharp mind to help design, organize and effectively deliver this content to teams across the organization. Ideal candidates will have experience with instructional design, graphic/presentation design and content management on Google Drive.
You will have the opportunity to learn cutting edge skills from leading practitioners in the space, gain insight into a variety of fields and organizations, and change the lives of our learners. This is a role best suited to someone who thrives in a dynamic, project-based work environment where they are regularly tackling new challenges and working with different teams.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent learning designer with a talent for graphic and presentation design. They can develop exciting narratives and exercises that bring subjects to life. They have a great eye for visual design and are nimble and proficient with designing within the constraints of the Google Suite.
This person will also be an organizer with extreme attention to detail, who can take stock of the company’s current operations and future goals to implement a content strategy that will improve access, navigation and maintenance of curriculum. They will be able to break large jobs into manageable chunks that provide real progress and value to users and keep several projects moving at the same time.
Your time will be divided between two key areas of responsibility:
- Curriculum Management (60-70%)
- Audit existing learning content to develop and implement a strategy for re-organizing curriculum against modular objectives and units to enable re-use across courses.
- Establish and implement guides, curriculum markers and training programs for instructors to personalize courses for clients and various student groups.
- Co-develop standards for excellence in curriculum design that can be used in creating and evaluating content and for guiding decisions on what should be kept, redesigned or archived.
- Co-develop and support feedback and maintenance strategies for all materials hosted on Google Drive.
- Establish, document and train users on norms and processes for creating, modifying and exchanging lesson materials with learners.
- Develop and maintain naming conventions and product documentation.
- Contribute to training materials for instructors to acclimate them to new or changed course materials.
- Act as a servant leader to our population of instructional designers, instructor managers and instructors, skilled in soliciting and considering input to make decisions and manage trade-offs.
- Establish and uphold regular cadences for reviewing and improving materials with instructors and other stakeholders.
- Act as a reviewer for instructor-led curriculum produced by other team members.
- New Curriculum Design and Development (30-40%)
- Lead and/or support instructional design of new courses and redesigns for both instructor-led courses and workshops delivery. This may involve, based on the project:
- Working with internal product strategists to establish course outcomes, timelines, modalities and learning objectives;
- Recruiting and onboarding practitioners to build curriculum, and manage the work product to meet standards of quality through feedback and your own revision/enhancement of the materials;
- Creating visually appealing lesson decks and workshop materials.
- Collaborate with other instructional designers in peer reviews and brainstorming sessions.
Skills & Qualifications:
- 1-3 years hands-on project management experience.
- 2-4 years experience creating educational content for adult learners and capabilities in research, writing, curriculum development, eLearning development, and/or content creation.
- 2-4 years graphic and/or presentation design experience.
- Expertise with Google Drive and the Google Suite of products. .
- Atlassian administration experience (Confluence, Jira)
- Hands-on expert experience with learning / content management systems
- Experience with any or all of the topics we teach: Digital Marketing, UX, Data Analysis, Product Management, Coding.
- Balance personal ownership and accountability of immediate responsibilities with the flexibility and drive to jump in and fill gaps across the team as they arise.
- Contribute to a culture of continuous optimization of workflow and processes across General Assembly; know when we should be strict and when we can be flexible.
- Acute attention to detail, ensuring accuracy and quality in all deliverables.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, ability to analyze quantitatively, problem-solve, scope technical requirements and support prioritization exercises.
- Exceptional organizational skills and strong familiarity with work management tools.
- Experience working with remote / 3rd party team members in an Agile environment.