Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly seeks Head of Copy (HoC) to join our Creative Team, GA’s in-house studio that comprises copy, visual design, video, UX, and content operations. This position reports to the Creative Director and is based in our NYC headquarters.
As HoC, you’ll be responsible for managing our team of copywriters, ensuring integrity across all branded communications, global B2B/B2C marketing and sales collateral, educational products, executive comms, UX copy, and more. A deft writer and eagle-eyed editor, the ideal candidate can educate, inspire, and motivate a variety of audiences across assets ranging from ads and emails to websites and white papers — and nurture talent to do the same.
As a leadership member of the Creative team, the HoC will work closely with teammates to ensure holistic storytelling across digital, print, video, and environmental assets, as well as along the customer and student journey. They will also partner with content operations to facilitate project management and streamline workflows across simultaneous initiatives.
As an authority on GA voice and narrative, the HoC will serve as a guidepost for colleagues at all levels of the company and an advocate for the narrative and technical expertise of the Copy team. They must be an agile collaborator and communicator who skillfully balances stakeholder and business needs with brand integrity to ensure that voice, tone, and messaging is consistent across channels and products.
The Nitty Gritty
- Possess a full editorial toolkit: You’re a pro at both content and copy edits and can write concise, powerful copy for any audience, in any context, within any amount of space.
- Revel in the long- and short-forms of the craft: You effectively write and edit for channels including (but not limited to): email, digital, and print ads, social media, white papers, one-sheets, webpages, video scripts, case studies, blog posts, infographics, and decks (bonus points if you have experience developing educational curricula).
- Navigate and celebrate the interplay between design and copy, show versus tell. You’ve worked closely with visual, UX, and multimedia designers across print and digital channels and understand their needs, in their vocabulary.
- Are a natural leader who can confidently manage projects, people, and expectations with clarity, empathy, and strategic prioritization.
- Excel at fostering talent regardless of the stage of their career, bringing your direct reports to new heights in both craft and cross-team collaboration.
- Love being both a player and a coach, understanding when/how to jump from being part of a working team to leading one.
- Thrive in a busy environment, juggling projects, stakeholders, narratives, and audiences with ease.
- Shape and refine GA’s unique brand voice across our consumer, B2B, and educational communications.
- Manage and mentor members of the copy team, who specialize in different product lines and GA narratives.
- Coordinate workload plans for all in-bound requests, working with team members to align on project roadmaps and key milestones.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop original and innovative content ideas that drive the brand and the business forward.
- Develop a roadmap to produce and distribute copy guidelines, best practices, and in-house trainings for the wider GA team to use.
- Ensure written communications represent the critical brand elements that define General Assembly.
- 8+ years’ editing and writing experience across various disciplines and formats.
- 2+ years’ management experience.
- A strong business focus and the ability to leverage creative assets to amplify and support business goals.
- Highly organized with a project management mindset, able to establish schedules and roadmaps while meeting deadlines without fail.
- Knowledge of: Google Suite, SEO, CMS (Drupal, WordPress, Medium, proprietary), AP Style, Jira (or other similar project management software), Confluence, Slack, Trello. Adobe Creative Suite experience is a plus.
- Passion for and knowledge of technology and education is a plus.