Who are we?
Our vision is of a global community of individuals empowered to pursue the work they love. Our mission is to grow that community by transforming millions of thinkers into creators.
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
The Director of Data deeply understands the needs of the organization and is well-versed in leveraging data infrastructure, analysts, and engineers to solve critical business problems. It’s the job of the Director of Data to leverage technology and data to bring insight to the organization.
One of GA’s seven work values is the mantra, “Always bring data to the conversation,” which reflects the important role that data plays in every decision. The data team is not only responsible for making sure that GA’s data solutions are speedy, intelligent, user-friendly and accessible to employees across the organization, but also works closely with GA’s leadership team, providing them with data-driven insights that drive greater business performance and strategy.
The data team at GA is made up of a Director of Data (you), a Senior Staff Engineer, two Senior Data Engineers, two Data Engineers, two BI Analysts, and a Technical Project Manager. You will report directly to the VP of Technology. Our current technology stack in data engineering mostly consists of Redshift, Python, SQL, Looker, and an open-source event-based data pipeline that provides us with real-time data.
This team has significant latitude to solve problems and build scalable solutions. Technology leaders at GA are all able to be hands-on when needed and as such this position requires someone who is both a data leader as well as an individual contributor with excellent analytical and engineering skills. Additionally, candidates should have a wealth of experience implementing data-driven business solutions that you can draw from, be highly organized and thorough, be capable of tailoring communication to all levels of the organization from C-suite to engineers, and comfortable leading high-impact, high-visibility projects. Strong candidates will have experience adapting to the evolving needs of a high-growth B2C and B2B business and creating pragmatic and innovative solutions to complex business problems.
Our expectations for the role and your responsibilities are:
- Deep data engineering and analyst knowledge and experience. Domain expert for the functionality of all data applications. Speak crisply to the current and planned functionality of all applications. Proven experience leveraging Machine Learning/Data Science.
- Lead and inspire a team of data engineers, analysts, and a technical project manager to focus on the highest value and impact items.
- Defining, communicating and evangelizing the group vision and mission in alignment with the company. Build and execute an agreed roadmap. Develop business cases for initiatives to make major prioritization decisions.
- Monitor and set strategy around quality and performance, including fiscal performance.
- Oversee multiple projects across different teams with a mastery understanding of dependency management in complex projects.
- Provide technical strategy and oversight, identifying synergies between your teams, and realizing opportunities for growth, while providing thought leadership and insight into emerging trends.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to successfully partner with cross-functional teams and business stakeholders to help drive your roadmap.
- Be a mentor and coach, fostering ownership, guiding personal growth, and constantly striving to raise the bar on delivery performance and quality, with a transparent plan in place for each member of your team that outlines their desired next step in their career and the steps required to get them there.
- Highly Competitive Salary
- Generous parental leave
- Annual Education Allowance
- Gym Allowance
- Apple MacBook Pro + External Monitor