Who we are
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
Communications & Press Associate
The Communications and Press Associate is a new role at General Assembly that will support internal and external communications, media relations, and thought leadership initiatives at General Assembly. You’ll be responsible for project management and cross-functional coordination across teams - content, marketing, enterprise sales, public affairs, and public relations - to develop and execute media strategy, source story ideas, and serve as the internal “source of truth” for all external-facing data about General Assembly’s business. You will work with the Senior Director of External Affairs and our outside advisors to highlight General Assembly’s students, partners, instructors, alumni, and executives in the media conversation about the future of education and work.
- Draft press releases, op-eds, and other media content
- Create talking points for media interviews
- Develop speeches and presentations for executives
- Package media hits for executive and sales teams to share across their network
- Work with executives (CEO, Co-COOs, other business leaders) to draft op-eds, talking points, and social media content
- Generate and post social media content
Public relations project management and operations
- Coordinate day-to-day operations with public relations firm
- Source student stories and company data for media, executive, and partner requests
- Assess and respond to all inbound press inquiries
- Staff PR and media strategy calls with GA clients and partners
Media monitoring and analysis
- Monitor and track media coverage of General Assembly and issues related to our company (future of work, AI and automation, the skills gap, etc,)
- Track social media metrics and mentions of General Assembly on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram
- Create and distribute internal and external reports on media coverage and trends
- Liaise with GA’s parent company, the Adecco Group, on earned media, social media, and thought leadership
Maintain content calendar and press materials
- Manage GA content calendar and ensure all key stakeholders are up-to-date on project status and action items
- Maintain GA’s media list, press kit, case studies, and executive talking points
- In partnership with marketing and content, ensure that internal and external-facing communications feature the most up-to-date data points and success stories
- Draft internal communications content for executives to refine and share.
- Assist with the preparation of internal business updates for senior leaders.
- Maintain and support business-critical information repositories (specifically Confluence pages for major internal updates and initiatives).
- You have experience in media, press, public relations, or corporate communications, and have a solid understanding of the business media market and the journalism field, as well as strong instincts for a good story idea or pitch angle. One to three years of experience is preferred but not required.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and can crank out content effortlessly in many different styles and voices.
- When it comes to workflow, you take pride in your organizational skills. You can coordinate multiple projects at once and work with all necessary parties externally and internally to get the job done. You have the ability to multitask, prioritize, problem-solve, and, most importantly, follow through.
- You are entrepreneurial, independent, and self-directed, with the ability to set your own goals and priorities, and establish new professional relationships, with minimal guidance. You are comfortable with ambiguity and last-minute changes, and remain calm under pressure.
- You are confident working with senior executives and managing up to ensure that leaders are set up for success when preparing for a presentation or media interview.
- You bring a contagious positivity and enthusiasm to the teams you join, have a passion for education, and want to help change lives.
- Resourcefulness Securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently
- Optimizes Work Processes Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Communicates Effectively Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Plans & Aligns Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.