Who We Are
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly is seeking an Instructor Manager to support high quality learning experiences as a member of our Enterprise business.
General Assembly’s success depends on the passion and quality of our instructional teams, which are made up of top industry professionals from a variety of fields including data science, software development and design. The Instructor Manager’s role is to hire, onboard, coach and support these individuals as they work to facilitate effective instruction. Working in close partnership with local campuses and Global teams, the Instructor Manager will ensure that GA Enterprise classrooms are staffed with the right mix of instructors who are eager and ready to share their expertise with our students.
This role will be responsible for managing instructional team members that deliver courses on for our Enterprise clients. Reporting to the Manager, Instruction of our US Enterprise business, this role contributes to and drives the strategic vision of the US Enterprise team.
- Identifying & sourcing top instructional talent and operating as the hiring manager in their recruitment process to ensure the best practitioners are hired for instructional roles for GA’s enterprise clients.
- Managing professional behavior, retention and ongoing professional development and growth of 12-24 instructors.
- Managing and training remote teams of instructors across multiple time zones.
- Planning and scheduling instructors for engagements on client sites, ensuring that all instructional teams are the right size and mix for the class size and course they’ll be teaching.
- Observing instruction and providing instructional coaching feedback to address issues and support continuous growth of instructors
- Monitor and manage course & instructional quality and progress by regularly reviewing exit tickets and student surveys; formulate action plans based on data
- Participate in globals meetings with Director of Instruction and instructional counterparts across markets
- Partnering with your Enterprise team to triage and support issues as they arise with instructors, students and other stakeholders
- Collaborating with Instructor Managers across the GA network.
- Collaborating with your manager on the design and delivery of Instructor Quality supports including the recruitment and hiring process, onboarding, training, coaching, and evaluation systems.
- Collaborating and working closely with GA team members assigned to the same Enterprise clients.
- Proficient in instructional best practices such as lesson planning, differentiation, assessments, student data analysis, and the creation of strong classroom climates
- Previous experience in successfully managing trainers or instructors preferred
- Deep understanding of the GA model for instruction preferred, specifically in Enterprise settings
- Previous experience in successfully managing multiple team members. Previous experience with managing remote teams highly desirable.
- A former educator ideally with previous experience in education and/or corporate training
- Proficiency in hiring and building teams
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- High level of detail-orientation
- Track record of strong, empathetic team leadership
- Familiarity with online learning best practices a strong plus
- High emotional intelligence; an ability to empathize with others
- Familiarity with, or subject matter expertise in one or more of the disciplines we teach (Product Management, Data Science/Analytics, Software Engineering, Digital Marketing, User Experience Design)
- Strategic Hiring and Staffing
- Managerial Courage
- Priority Setting
- Developing Direct Reports
- Dealing with Ambiguity