Who We Are
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
As a Career Coach you will be working alongside a team of passionate and dedicated individuals who thrive on collaboration and strengthening our standing in the Melbourne tech community.
You’ll be responsible for managing job seeker programs - empowering graduates with the skills and knowledge to take control of their job seeking. The Career Coach is also responsible for building and managing connections with employers. Working with both the local team and global Job Outcomes and Business Development teams, this position seeks to create a firm relationship between GA, student, and industry.
Overall you will ensure students are supported as they start to think about their next professional steps and are prepared for, and confident in, their job search. A balance of ensuring that graduates are empowered to find jobs in a timely manner, as well as find roles that they are passionate about, is critical for this role.
- Program management: Manage job seeker programs (Outcomes program), present careers sessions, and source guest speakers, mock interviewers, and portfolio reviewers. Coordinate all logistical aspects of hiring events. Ensure every single student has an amazing experience in our Outcomes program.
- Careers coach: Support our full-time students through their transition from the classroom to their first job in a new industry as their 1:1 coach and counsellor. Making sure job urgency and preparedness is top of mind for students and help students find jobs fast.
- Partnerships and business development: Foster industry connections with companies looking to hire our full-time course graduates (Web Developers, Data Science & User Experience Designers)
- 3+ years of work experience in recruiting, hr, or career coaching in the tech or other industry. Account management or sales experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with the digital and tech scene in Melbourne, and understanding of the local job market (you are going to be assisting Data Scientists, Web Developers & User Experience Designers land roles in industry).
- Strong presentation skills. Commands confidence and trust. Comfortable both one-on-one and delivering to a large group.
- Able to confidently give constructive, positive feedback to people of diverse professional and life backgrounds.
- Empathy and maturity. Remains calm in difficult situations, can handle other people’s stress.
- Resourceful. Ability to make magic happen with limited resources.
- Detail and data oriented. There are many moving parts to manage in the Job Outcomes & Partnerships aspects of the role.
- Strategic and entrepreneurial. Able to take a strategic vision for the Outcomes department and translate it into, and execute upon, a tactical plan.
- Passionate about education & technology
- Experience working in a startup - nice to have