Who We Are
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly is seeking a Manager of Instruction to help deliver an excellent learning and classroom experience for our community of adult learners at our flagship New York Campus in Flatiron. This role is perfect for someone passionate about education with strong background in people management and an excitement about the opportunity to change lives.
You will manage teams of instructional staff and instructional managers as they teach day-time and evening courses for General Assembly’s community of adult learners. As part of this role, you act as the hiring manager for the instructor recruitment process, working hand-in-hand with the talent team to identify top instructors from in-the-field practitioners and recruit them onto the GA faculty. Once hired, the instructional management team onboards and trains new instructors, and conducts professional development workshops to keep them sharp and growing, and ensures the highest quality of education and training in the classroom. As part of your management, you will hold 1:1s, run team meetings, help instructors plan courses, and absorb and act on student feedback.
You'll collaborate closely with many people in the organization to accomplish your goals (Campus Leadership, Admissions, Operations, Marketing, Career Services, etc.) and should be adept at working in a team and managing through influence. You will report directly to New York’s Senior Regional Director and have a team of 8 direct reports.
Qualities we look for:
- You have 5-8 years of experience working in education, education technology, or a related field and at least 2 years experience managing a team of full-time employees.
- You know good instruction when you see it (same with poor instruction) and can effectively manage instructors/instructor managers to create development plans and get the help/support/training they need to improve. Coaching and giving feedback are second nature to you.
- You bring strategic insight to hiring and staffing and have the ability to identify and hire great instructors and instructor managers.
- You are a phenomenal people manager who inspires and empowers employees and leads through the success of others. You can show a track record of building successful, positive relationships with instructional teams and developing team members professionally.
- You are entrepreneurial, independent, and self-directed, with the ability to set your own goals and priorities with minimal guidance. You are comfortable with ambiguity and last-minute changes, and remain calm under pressure.
- You have strong business acumen that complements outstanding emotional intelligence. You understand the drivers of GA’s business today, what will drive it in the future, and how quality instruction plays a key role in that.
- When it comes to workflow, you take pride in your organizational skills. You can coordinate multiple projects at once and work with all necessary parties externally and internally to get the job done. You have the ability to multitask, prioritize, problem-solve, and, most importantly, follow through.
- You bring a contagious positivity and enthusiasm to the teams you join, have a passion for education, and want to help change lives.
- Managing vision and purpose
- Priority setting
- Building effective teams
- Managerial courage
- Comfort around higher management