Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 100,000 alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 25,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
We are looking for a Global Real Estate & Expansion Manager who can assist in strategically growing our campus and office locations by finding, securing, building out, and furnishing spaces around the world. You are savvy at negotiating the terms of commercial real estate transactions, are able to quickly understand the real estate market of a targeted expansion city, exceptional at project and construction management, and able to manage and build relationships with vendors. You are also able to work cross-functionally to drive our real estate and expansion projects forward in a way that best serves our teams and our customers. You operate from a strategic mindset and thrive on the exhilaration that comes from a job well done.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Play an instrumental role in shaping and executing GA’s global location growth strategy, ensuring that real estate as a resource is aligned with the operational and growth needs of the company.
- Responsible for building and maintaining relationships with space partners, including both commercial landlords and co-working spaces.
- Leverage your disciplined research skills and business acumen to source, negotiate, and execute property transactions
- Partner with General Assembly’s operations team on the programmatic needs of each location and how those needs translate to the spaces we ultimately choose
- Drive large transactions related to both real estate and facility operations (including leases, build out, furniture and equipment, key facility vendors, etc.) from initial sourcing and selection, through structuring, negotiation, documentation, and execution.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to advance site selection, budgeting, Investment Committee approval, design and construction planning and execution, and management of real estate-related transactions.
- Project manage build outs of spaces around the world, including sourcing and managing architects, designers, contractors and other related vendors.
- Manage the portfolio of real estate assets across GA’s campuses around the world.
- Participate in planning and forecasting the real estate budget and capital expenditures, including providing regular updates regarding status, timeline, and financial impact.
- Partner with our legal team to negotiate leases, management agreements, subleases and other occupancy agreements.
- Manage relationships with owners and developers including deal structuring, ongoing correspondence, and lease compliance.
- Craft, negotiate, and support leases favorable to General Assembly and its guests, with a focus on commercial terms, as well as property upkeep, maintenance, cleanliness, and landlord responsiveness.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- 3+ years of experience directly related to commercial real estate leasing and/or development.
- Strong desire to contribute to a cross-functional team to meet business objectives.
- Reliable, focused and detail-oriented.
- Strong time-management skills and experience managing multiple fast-paced projects simultaneously, and under pressure.
- Ability to understand business needs, demonstrate sound judgment, and formulate solutions.
- Ability and willingness to travel for site visits as needed
- Must have excellent client service and interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain and uphold the goodwill and reputation of the GA team.