Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at 20 campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. Our clients include everyone from many of the Fortune 500 companies, to government agencies, to small- and medium-sized businesses. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
As Manager, Technical Accounting, you will be an integral part of the Accounting department, managing a team and providing operational and technical accounting expertise on all aspects of General Assembly’s (GA’s) revenue streams and other technical accounting areas. You are a highly technical CPA dealing with complex transactions and providing appropriate guidance. You are highly process-oriented, demonstrate a strong customer centric attitude as well as have an aptitude to mentor, train and develop a team.
- Lead subject matter expert on all areas requiring technical accounting support
- Revenue recognition (ASC 606), software capitalization, lease accounting, tax accounting and intercompany transaction
- Lead financial reporting
- Prepare timely financial statements in accordance with U.S. GAAP
- Lead the Company’s financial statement audit and manage discussions with auditors and external accounting and tax advisors
- Provide ad-hoc historical financial information to state regulators and internal stakeholders as needed
- Lead process improvement initiatives
- Document policies and procedures
- Support system implementations
- Lead control environment enhancements
- Support the FP&A and Sales team
- Provide input and insights on forecasting on special transactions and expansion initiatives
- Lead on matters requiring revenue modeling and projections
- Support business units on requests for guidance and direction
- Lead contract reviews including contracts with non-standard terms
- Advise on optimal deal structure including revenue recognition treatment and tax considerations
- Provide timely feedback to the sales team on pricing and deal structure proposals
- Support Accounting Operations team
- Assist in operationalizing accounting conclusions
- Support the closing the books in the timely manner
- Provide leadership on data structure, GL structure and overall management of the accounting information system environment
- 5+ years of experience in Big 4+ public accounting and/or commercial industry accounting/finance
- Actively licensed CPA
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, and ability to assimilate easily into teams
- Strong technical skills and a working knowledge of U.S. GAAP and revenue recognition concepts
- Effective analytical and critical thinking abilities
- High energy with commitment to quality client service
- You are hands-on and not afraid to dive into the details.
- You have a strong understanding of US GAAP and adept at researching accounting rules and boiling them down to the impact on the company’s financials.
- You are comfortable with new concepts and complexity; You are described as determined, capable, and agile.
- You possess strong intellectual horsepower and are a quick study.
- You get at the root of the problem and implement fixes so the problem doesn’t recur.
- You establish strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- You summarize complex concepts for non-experts in an easy to understand manner.
- You develop staff by setting clear expectations and providing timeline feedback.
- You manage with empathy; you mentor your team and provide them with opportunities to learn and develop.