About General Assembly:
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly, a global education company with a robust press presence and a social media following of 1M+ strong, is looking for a savvy, whip-smart Public Relations & Social Media Specialist to lead our communications and community engagement efforts using social media, public relations and digital tools.
Reporting to the Senior Director of External Affairs, you will work with different teams to promote General Assembly’s products, services and culture in a variety of platforms to increase user engagement.
We are looking for someone who has experience in driving public relations and social media for a startup or midsized company, an agency, a political campaign, or a non-profit. You should have a strong grasp of the media landscape, and a strategic mindset to elevate GA’s media profile. Most importantly, you should have good instincts, a strong work ethic, and a can-do attitude.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (it can be anything, including something you wrote for someone else - we want to see how you express yourself on the page).
Here’s what the job entails:
- Design digital media campaigns aligned with business goals to grow General Assembly’s online presence and brand visibility.
- Coordinate the creation of digital content (e.g. website, blogs, tweets, press releases).
- Manage end-to-end digital campaigns, announcements and launches.
- Maintain a strong online company voice through social media.
- Liaise with internal and external Public Relations, Marketing, Sales and Product teams to ensure brand consistency.
- Suggest and implement plans to increase user engagement via Social Media.
- Monitor ROI and KPIs.
- Stay up-to-date with digital media developments.
Here are some of the qualities and skills that we’re looking for:
- You can develop and execute a multi-pronged press and social media campaign.
- You have an exceptional ability to multitask and perform under tight deadlines.
- You have a nose for a great story, and can quickly turn a new program, partnership, or initiative at GA into a compelling pitch.
- You can quickly crank out content that’s consistently on brand, and in the voices of leaders in the company.
- You know the ins-and-outs of every social media channel, and can navigate the switches in tone and engagement approaches from Twitter to Facebook to LinkedIn without blinking.
- You love collaboration and are excited about the idea of teaming up with internal and external teams to create awesome campaigns to drive General Assembly’s growth.
- You care about education and the power that it has to transform lives and communities.
Below are additional experiences that will make you stand out:
- A background in journalism or public relations; experience working at an agency or in-house at a startup is a plus (ideally, 3+ years of experience).
- A track record of creating sharp, punchy copy in a brand-specific voice with flawless grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Experience building successful media and social campaigns raising awareness and driving engagement around a social issue, policy, product, or company.
- Strong data analytics chops and experience leveraging data insights into actionable campaigns and strategies.
- Communicates Effectively
- Drives results
- Plans and Aligns
- Customer Focus
- Cultivates Innovation