Who are we?
Our vision is of a global community of individuals empowered to pursue the work they love. Our mission is to grow that community by transforming millions of thinkers into creators.
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
GA has a remote-friendly culture with offices around the world. If you prefer the office, our headquarters are located in New York City. Twice a year, the entire Product team gets together in New York for a week of team building, workshops, lightning talks, urban adventures, and an epic hackathon.
We are organized into small cross-functional product teams (a PM, a designer, a few devs) that focus on growing a single product from glimmer to game-changer. Each team is free to determine their own tools & process. We care about writing good software that is clean, concise, and well-tested; flexible and easy to maintain.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic Data Engineer who knows Python, Data Modeling, and SQL and is willing to learn. You will be a member of our Data Engineering team focusing on the creation and maintenance of our Data warehouse/Data Pipeline and services that support GA’s technical ecosystem. You will also maintain and improve several of our existing applications. Our expectations for the role and your responsibilities are…
- Usually at least 3 years of experience being a professional Data Engineer.
- Works mostly on clearly defined and scoped individual features or problems. Able to debug typical problems without assistance; more difficult problems requiring guidance.
- Should be able to help associates and peers in an informal mentor role.
- Provide material feedback, find common ground and solve problems for the good of all with guidance and is seen as a team player who can gain the trust and support of others in the team.
- Capable of directing junior staff on a project.
- Data Engineering Concepts/Programming is well understood, more advanced concepts may only have fundamental knowledge.
- Follows established patterns and approaches within existing code bases. Some assistance may be required.
- Work is reviewed with the occasional need for material direction or implementation changes. Capable of reviewing work produced by their team, potentially with guidance.
- Follows professional team and organizational standards. Helps maintain professional standards for the team.
- Writes code with good test coverage; may not know the best way to approach testing in all scenarios.
- Able to competently work within the organizations local-development strategy; may provide basic support for associates.
- Basic knowledge of system-level tooling. Capable of more advanced development tool workflows for local debugging.
- Fundamental knowledge of source control expected. Expected to know some advanced features. Expected to practice at least one form of source control flows (e.g. gitflow).
- Understands fundamental concepts of systems development life cycle (SDLC), and monitors adherence to all practical aspects.
- Should be aware of business value in work being done. Not expected to be able to prioritize own work in terms of business value.
- Strong SQL and Python skills. Comfortable in ETL, data modeling, star schemas, and data marts.
- Any experience in analytical visual tools like Tableau or Looker a plus.
- Any experience in Amazon services, especially Redshift, EC2, and Kinesis a big plus.
- Responsible for maintaining professional standards for your team.
- Self-directs work and provide guidance to associates on tasks related to existing projects.
- Provides front-line assistance for maintaining 24/7 service uptime for the organization.
- Proactive in working to define, and update, your career path with management.
- Assist in the on-boarding and off-boarding of engineers using existing processes and methods.
- You assist in ensuring all hires meet and exceed the GA talent bar.
- Is responsible for understanding which operations affect the scope of the budget.
- Maintain and grow our Data Warehouse, Data Pipeline and Data Marts.
- Work closely with stakeholders to understand and suggest requirements.
- Remote / flexible working hours
- Highly Competitive Salary
- Generous parental leave
- Annual Education Allowance
- Gym Allowance
- Apple MacBook Pro + External Monitor
Who can apply?
You are living in or willing to self-relocate to...
- The USA in any of these states: CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, IL, KS, MA, NY, NC, TX, VA and/or WA
- Germany, Toronto, and the UK