Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
Position: Full-time instructor and content contributor/subject matter expert (SME)
We are in the process of building out two new full-time program on Java development (with heavy emphasis on cloud architecture) for a private client. We are looking for an Java Engineer with strong Cloud Architecture and full stack Java development experience both to help us to develop this course over the next few months. We would prefer to hire subject matter experts to teach this program as well and are open to discussing a longer term contract.
Why take this role?
As an instructor and content contributor/SME, not only will you be able to impact your own students’ future careers in software engineering, you will also have a unique opportunity to help shape the direction of the course on a global scale. In this role, you will:
- Help us to develop a world-class curriculum both for yourself and for future instructors by building out lesson plans, exercises, and other materials in partnership with our instructional designers and other subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Work closely with one or more co-instructors to guide students through a rigorous, transformational journey toward roles as cybersecurity analysts, engineers, and experts.
- Inspire and support students as they develop their skills and drive their own continued learning beyond the curriculum.
- Facilitate a safe, supportive, and energetic community that welcomes the various needs and learning styles of your students.
- Become a better leader and mentor as you learn from veteran instructors and our experienced instructional coaches.
Skills and Qualifications
- You are eager to shape the skills, minds, and trajectories of the newest generation of cybersecurity practitioners.
- You are the person that your colleagues naturally gravitate to when they are trying to figure something out.
- 4-6 years of professional expertise in full stack Java development
- 3+ years experience in cloud architecture
- Proficiency in:
- Spring Boot
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- Twelve-factor Application / Cloud-native Development
- CI / CD (Jenkins or Concourse)
- Preferred experience in:
- Experience working in an Agile/XP environment
- JPA / Hibernate
- Spring Cloud
- Java EE
Responsibilities and Duties
- During the ‘build’ phase, before the program launches:
- Work full-time as a content contributor and SME
- Plan and develop the curriculum of this program, in partnership with other SMEs and our instructional designers.
- During the ‘delivery’ phase:
- Deliver instruction 5 days a week, including teaching, advising, and potentially adapting the content to specific classroom needs.
- Work closely with your instructional team to provide students with meaningful and prompt feedback on their progress.
- Collaborate alongside GA staff in order to best meet the needs and learning styles of your students.
- Guide students through the development of real world projects that will showcase their abilities.
- Facilitate a dynamic and collaborative classroom community.
- Inspire students to persevere through the challenges of learning complex subjects.