Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
As the Local Marketing Manager you will own the local marketing plan in New York from end to end. You'll create and execute on a strategy that allows us to grow the business efficiently. Focusing on driving people to our campus and online events and workshops, and using data to optimize our offerings, you will grow awareness for General Assembly. You'll capture and create value through high-impact, high-volume events, classes, and workshops and be responsible for creating meaningful partnership opportunities with noteworthy companies and organizations across New York City’s tech, design, startup and enterprise ecosystem. Ultimately, you will be responsible for increasing the size of the General Assembly audience and maintaining a highly engaged and valuable community, allowing GA to continue to grow, scale, and change lives.
You'll collaborate closely with many people in the organization to accomplish your goals (the Admissions team, the Operations team, the Instructional team, the Global Marketing team, and more) and should be adept at managing through influence. You will report directly to New York’s Senior Regional Director and have a team of 2 direct reports.
- Partnerships and Business Development:
- Vet new companies through phone calls and face-to-face meetings.
- Using both free and premium tools, build daily target lists of companies, which align with General Assembly’s mission and needs.
- Hand off any new partners to appropriate local marketing reports or global teams depending on the partner’s priorities.
- Foster and grow the scope of partner relationships over time.
- Events and Creativity:
- Identify key events (meetups, etc.) in the community, at times attending on behalf of GA.
- With your team, plan and market high value, content-driven B2C events.
- With your team, create and host valuable events, showcasing related content to drive more students, employers, and businesses to campus.
- Planning, Metrics and Data-Driven Decision Making:
- Analyze marketing funnel data to make thoughtful decisions around areas of opportunity. Build/maintain key reports for progress and dashboards.
- Work with other campuses and through the organization globally to benchmark performance and set aggressive, but realistic growth goals.
- People Management
- Directly manage a local events producer and a local workshop producer.
- Develop and grow talent, potentially building out a larger team to meet market growth needs.
- You have 4-5 years of prior marketing experience, with exposure to - and a solid understanding of - a range of marketing channels, such as: events, guerilla tactics, growth hacking, partnerships, email, website, paid, social, and content.
- You are entrepreneurial, independent, and self-directed, with the ability to set your own goals and priorities with minimal guidance. You are comfortable with ambiguity and last-minute changes, and remain calm under pressure.
- Proven ability to confidently and effectively provide both constructive and positive feedback to individuals of diverse professional and personal backgrounds.
- You possess a “growth mindset” attitude towards learning and teaching as a craft.
- You are highly organized: When it comes to workflow, you take pride in your organizational skills. You can coordinate multiple projects at once and work with all necessary parties externally and internally to get the job done. You have the ability to multi-task, prioritize, problem-solve, and execute in a timely fashion.
- You have past management experience and know how to motivate and empower your team to hit their goals.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A passion for education and for changing lives.
- You bring a contagious positivity and enthusiasm to the teams you join!
- Customer Focus
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Drive for Results
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Learning on the Fly
- Presentation Skills