Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
GA is built on a mission to empower a global community of learners to pursue the work they love.
General Assembly is seeking an ambitious and experienced Sr. User Interface Designer to join our product design team. The ideal candidate is confident acting as an integrated member of our design and engineering teams; evolving our design system and providing elegant and well tested solutions built from prototyped and tested concepts to final integrated designs while communicating effectively within the product team.
- Facilitate communication and delivery between design and engineering teams to encourage a more efficient workflow
- Improve and introduce processes and systems for fast-prototyping, design file version control, and sharing assets between teams
- Manage, contribute and evolve our internal design system and styleguide
- Frequently give and solicit structured feedback with fellow designers in order to constantly raise the bar
- Design and lead the UI construction for complex projects with a broad scope and evolving objectives. You contribute to the overall product strategy through concept generation, prototyping and collaboration with UX Designers to promote feature integration, aiding in the creation of user experiments to test your designs.
- Ability to communicate design intent to both internal and external teams.
- Ability to collaborate and build trustworthy bonds between Engineering, Product, and Design.
- Ability to clearly rationalize and justify design work and advocate for users’ needs
- Experience designing for multiple device types and contexts (desktop, tablet, smartphone).
- Experience analysing the performance of a user interface to determine “the why” behind a successful or unsuccessful solution.
- Strong technical background and understanding of web standards, capabilities, and best practices around common web technologies (HTML5, CSS3, ReactJS).
- Strong understanding of interaction design, typography, color theory, accessibility guidelines, and usability heuristics.
- Experience building and maintaining a robust product design system and style guide
- Fluency in Sketch, Illustrator, InVision (and/or your favorite prototyping tool).
- Strong portfolio showcasing multiple styles in both UI and creative work.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a design-related field (human-computer interaction, graphic design), or equivalent practical experience with supplementary education.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- 5+ years of experience designing web applications.