At Genapsys we are working to transform the human condition by building an affordable, scalable genomic ecosystem that empowers research and diagnostics. Powered by semiconductor chip-based electronic sequencing technology, our platform will be a modular and accessible system that will enable highly accurate, scalable, and affordable sequencing for a variety of applications. We believe in a world where every researcher and clinician can perform their sequencing on-site, enabling easy and rapid access to actionable insights based on genomic data. Join us and let’s work together to unlock universal access to genomic sequencing.
About the Role:
Machine learning approaches are at the core of GenapSys' methods for generating high quality DNA sequencing data. As a machine learning engineer, you will join forces in the development of cutting-edge machine learning methods that solve key problems in the DNA sequencing, base calling, and variant calling processes. You will work closely with a cross-functional team of life scientists, bioengineers, software engineers and data scientists to identify areas where machine learning can make a difference, to conceptualize and develop biological datasets using cutting edge, high throughput platforms, and to analyze these data sets using the best machine learning methods, applied at scale.
Candidates working remotely in the US, as well as those local to Redwood City, CA, are encouraged to apply.
- Hands-on development of Deep Learning models, various Neural Network concepts, and classification algorithms. Apply troubleshooting and problem-solving skills to complex issues.
- Write high-quality, production-ready Python code (version controlled, readable, efficient, well-tested, well documented, with well-designed APIs).
- Perform extensive deep dive error profiling to measure, characterize, and find the root cause of errors, communicate the findings to other functional teams effectively and find innovative solutions to eliminate errors
- Coordinate activities within the Machine Learning team to maintain transparency, high efficiency, and accountability; report progress and results upwards periodically.
- Develop topic descriptions for creative and innovative approaches to solving challenges
- Drive planning and prioritization meetings with various stakeholders and cross-functional teams
- Carry out methodical and systematic experiments to test hypotheses with carefully chosen controls and hold regular technical data review meetings to discuss results and provide insight to cross functional teams
- Work effectively both as a team player and independently within a multidisciplinary organization and manage the work within tight timelines.
- Ph.D. degree or equivalent experience in Machine Learning with a background in Electrical Engineering Signal Processing, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, or equivalent fields.
- 1-2 years of real-world industry work experience in software development and deployment of high-end machine learning algorithms specifically CNNs, RNNs, and autoencoders
- Significant experience in Tensorflow, TensorRT, Keras, and a working knowledge of existing deep learning libraries (e.g., CUDA, Caffe, Theano, Torch, Nvidia Digits)
- Proficiency in Python, ability to write high-quality, production-ready code (readable, well-tested, well documented, with well-designed APIs).
- Proficiency in common data science libraries in Python such as Numpy, Scipy, Pandas, Sklearn, … Proficiency in vectorized programming with Numpy.
- Experienced in Git/Github version controlling in collaborative environments (cloning and forking repositories, creating and updating branches, commit, push, merge, and rebase, creating and reviewing pull requests, etc.)
- Experience in building automated development pipelines and CI/CD
- Experience in signal processing and anomaly detection working with (biological) time series data, such as EEG/ECG signal
- Experience developing, training, profiling, and deploying deep neural networks or other complex non-linear machine learning and inference pipelines.
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art methods with creativity and intelligence to advance beyond them
- Experience with scalable machine learning, including the application to large datasets.
- Detail oriented, innovative, results-oriented and methodical with a successful track record.
- Strong team player who is flexible, adaptable, dependable, can communicate effectively and collaborate within a multidisciplinary organization while being a self starter and driver with the ability to work independently and manage the work within tight timelines.
- Track record of relevant publications in peer-reviewed conferences and journals
- Experience with genomics and next generation sequencing
- Skilled in large scale data analysis and characterization of physical systems, modeling, simulation and dynamical system validation.
- Proficiency in Linux environment (including shell scripting), experience with database languages.
- Familiarity with cloud computing services (AWS or GCP).
- Expert in implementing clustering and pattern recognition algorithms, such as PCA, SVM, KMeans, Markov models, etc.
What we offer (US based-employees):
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options.
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to work on problems that matter in a highly collaborative environment.
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $100,000 to $175,000 per year.
Compensation for this role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, experience and geographic location, and may fall outside of the range shown. Genapsys offers a competitive total rewards package, which includes a 401k match, healthcare coverage, paid time off, holiday pay and a broad range of other benefits.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Genapsys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
Genapsys has a robust COVID-19 prevention plan in order to keep our team members as safe as possible. This plan includes a requirement that all employees, contractors and visitors are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (or receive an approved medical or religious exemption) prior to working on site at any Genapsys location. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.