At Genapsys we are working to transform the human condition by building an affordable, scalable genomic ecosystem that empowers research and diagnostics. Powered by semiconductor chip-based electronic sequencing technology, our platform will be a modular and accessible system that will enable highly accurate, scalable, and affordable sequencing for a variety of applications. We believe in a world where every researcher and clinician can perform their sequencing on-site, enabling easy and rapid access to actionable insights based on genomic data. Join us and let’s work together to unlock universal access to genomic sequencing.
About the Role
The Principal Consumables Mechanical Design Engineer will play an exciting and very important role within the R&D Instrumentation Engineering Team. This position will design and develop new plastic injection molded parts and bonded assemblies used in the Genapsys DNA Sequencing reagent kit consumable products, including reagent supply cartridges and chip flowcell lids. This position ideally would be located in Redwood City but we would consider a remote candidate as well.
- Design new, high volume, low-cost, plastic injection molded reagent supply consumable container for DNA sequencer.
- Improve yield, cost, manufacturability, cleanliness, and reliability of current consumable products through management of suppliers and, if needed, design changes.
- Collaborate with a cross functional team and influence the development of the new sequencer instrument and chip platform in conjunction with the development of the consumable.
- Perform engineering, risk, and cost analysis to support design choices.
- Define appropriate tests for consumables, as well as reagent-filling manufacturing workflows.
- Use sound judgment, creativity, intuition, and experience with disciplined approaches to assess and mitigate risks while meeting aggressive timelines.
- Quickly conceive multiple options, communicate tradeoffs, and lead consensus.
- Identify simple solutions to solve complex problems or meet complicated requirements.
- Create clear, effective documentation of requirements, designs, BOMs, tests plans, analyses, reports, processes, and traceability between requirements, technical specifications, and verification tests.
- 12+ years of post academic relevant experience with similar Life Science consumable products.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering.
- Extensive experience in the mechanical design of successfully commercialized, low-cost, high volume, inert injection molded plastic reagent supply containers, , requiring strong joining of multiple parts, containing overmolded, internal and external hermetic seals, valves, sensors, pumps, and other moving parts.
- Fully proficient in using Solidworks to create concept cartoons, mechanical models, and detailed drawings, including appropriate definition of critical datums, dimensions, and tolerances.
- Proficient using simulation tools (e.g. FEA package in Solidworks, Excel to crunch engineering equations or tolerance analyses) to support design choices.
- Knowledge of manufacturing and prototyping processes.
- DFx: Design for Assembly, Manufacturability, Serviceability, Low Cost, and Reliability.
- Excellent communication skills and initiative.
- A record of delivering on commitments in busy, fast-paced environments.
- Direct development of and expertise in bonding methods (e.g. ultrasonic, vibration, or laser welding, adhesives, solvent)
- Expertise with low-cost, automated methods of post-op assembly at the molding supplier, such as tube or component insertion
- Knowledge of clean assembly and bonding methods (that do not introduce debris).
- Lab-on-chip device design
- DOE and DOE tools (e.g. Minitab).
- Working under a phased gate, Product Development Process (PDP).
- Development under ISO 13485 compliant QMS systems.
What we offer (US based-employees)*
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options.
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to work on problems that matter in a highly collaborative environment.
*Eligible international employees’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately, we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $130,000 to $185,000 per year.
Compensation for this role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, experience and geographic location, and may fall outside of the range shown. GenapSys offers a competitive total rewards package, which includes a 401k match, healthcare coverage, paid time off, holiday pay and a broad range of other benefits.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Genapsys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
Genapsys has a robust COVID-19 prevention plan in order to keep our team members as safe as possible. This plan includes a requirement that all employees, contractors and visitors are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (or receive an approved medical or religious exemption) prior to working on site at any Genapsys location. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.