At GenapSys we are working to power the world of healthcare and diagnostics with advanced DNA sequencing technology. Our sequencing instrument platform leverages a proprietary electrical microfluidic sequencing chip with a scalable number of detectors, enabling a wide range of applications including targeted sequencing in oncology, pharmacogenomics and genome-wide sequencing in microbiology and others. We believe in a world where every researcher has a compact, scalable, and affordable sequencer in their own lab, empowering the democratization of genetic sequencing. Our novel sequencing method is revolutionizing genomics discovery, biomedical research, healthcare, diagnostics, agriculture, and a variety of other fields.
About the Role:
The Principal Scientist, Surface Chemistry will have a major impact on the development of our core technologies and defining the next generation of GenapSys products. This position reports to the Vice President of Advanced Technology Development in our Redwood City, CA office. This is a particularly exciting time to be at GenapSys, as our technology is rapidly scaling and approaching market adaption.
- Develop effective techniques to functionalize surfaces with GenapSys proprietary polymer
- Evaluate novel surface chemistry assays related to polymeric materials, soft materials and bio-chemical attachments
- Develop new surface characterization methods to facilitate fundamental understandings of process-property relationships.
- Investigate various aspects of surface coating and develop effective interface mechanics solutions.
- Provide surface chemistry and materials science support to R&D team, process development, and manufacturing.
- Collaborate with team members to integrate findings and advancements into current laboratory SOPs.
- Work as an active team member assisting their implementation of new processes within the team and the company.
- Write protocols for laboratory SOPs and accurately document results and observations in lab notebooks.
- Routinely engage in group meetings to update colleagues with precise, concise presentations (MS office & G-suite).
- Contribute to the housekeeping tasks: maintaining inventory of reagents and laboratory supplies, taking responsibility for checking completion of the tasks when required.
- PhD in Surface Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Material Science, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, or related fields.
- 10 years of experience in industry or academia or combination of both
- Specific knowledge & experience with polymer/biomolecular interactions at surfaces.
- Extensive hands-on experience with surface chemistry and fluidic device processing.
- Experience with surface characterization of biomolecules.
- Understanding of general surface characterization tools (XPS, AFM, TOF-SIMS, fluorescence microscopy, etc.) and analytical chemistry techniques (LCMS, GC, NMR, etc.).
- Prior experience with semiconductor processes and lithography processes is a plus
- Proven ability to solve scientific and engineering problems.
- High degree of personal integrity, scientific rigor, strong interpersonal skills, comfortable in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Detail oriented, excellent organizational and communication skills and efficient at getting tasks done.
- Ambitious and looking to take on additional responsibilities.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Able to work independently and interactively.
- Presentation skills, ability to communicate scientific findings both internally and externally.
- Highly motivational and interactive within the team and able to interact and influence peers and senior leadership.
- High energy, and disciplined approach to their work
- Comfortable working in a fast- paced and resource-limited environment.
What we offer (US based-employees):
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options.
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to work on problems that matter in a highly collaborative environment.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately, we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!