At GenapSys we are working to power the world of healthcare and diagnostics with advanced DNA sequencing technology. Our sequencing instrument platform leverages a proprietary electrical microfluidic sequencing chip with a scalable number of detectors, enabling a wide range of applications including targeted sequencing in oncology, pharmacogenomics and genome-wide sequencing in microbiology and others. We believe in a world where every researcher has a compact, scalable, and affordable sequencer in their own lab, empowering the democratization of genetic sequencing. Our novel sequencing method is revolutionizing genomics discovery, biomedical research, healthcare, diagnostics, agriculture, and a variety of other fields.
About the Role:
As an (Sr.) Algorithm Scientist you will develop, maintain, and evolve novel next generation sequencing analysis software and pipelines with a focus on algorithm development and error profiling. You will work closely with a cross-functional team of life scientists, bioengineers, signal processing engineers, and data scientists to identify areas where new algorithms can improve the quality of the GenapSys sequencing data.
Remote candidates in the United States, as well as those based in the greater Redwood City, CA area, are encouraged to apply.
- Develop comprehensive bioinformatic analysis solutions and new algorithms for the GenapSys NGS data using C++
- Enhance the accuracy and runtime performance of existing algorithms using C++
- Perform extensive deep dive error profiling to measure, characterize, and find the root cause of errors, communicate the findings to other functional teams effectively and find innovative solutions to eliminate errors
- Perform detailed bioinformatics analysis including reference genome alignment, genome assembly, targeted sequencing, mapping, annotation and variant calling using a variety of data sets generated by the GenapSys Sequencing Platform as well as other NGS platforms
- Actively participate in the ongoing development of the GenapSys sequencing technology.
- PhD (with >1 year of industry experience) or MS (with >4 years of industry experience) in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Electrical Engineering/Signal processing or a related field.
- Proficiency in C++ and Python, ability to write high-quality, production-ready code (readable, well-tested, with well-designed APIs).
- Working knowledge of version control practices and tools, especially Git/Github.
- Experience with bioinformatics methods appropriate for NGS applications, such as genome assembly, alignment, and variant calling
- Understanding of next generation sequencing methods, quality scores and their interpretation
- Detail oriented, self starter, innovative, results-oriented and methodical with the ability to work independently and as part of a team while managing tight timelines.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively across functional groups
- Prior experience in developing NGS pipelines
- Experience designing and developing research and/ or production grade bioinformatics pipeline solutions for NGS applications
- Experience with other programming/scripting languages, such as R and Bash
- Ability to apply advanced statistical methods, machine learning, data science to time series and/or NGS raw data
- Adaptable to fast-paced, dynamic work environments and shifting demands.
- Highly collaborative, team-oriented, and an effective communicator
- Scrappy, willing to pitch in where needed.
- Passion for making a difference in the world.
- Able to work effectively in a matrix organization.
What we offer (US based-employees):
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options.
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to work on problems that matter in a highly collaborative environment.
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is:$112,000 to $160,000 per year.
Compensation for this role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, experience and geographic location, and may fall outside of the range shown. GenapSys offers a competitive total rewards package, which includes a 401k match, healthcare coverage, paid time off, holiday pay and a broad range of other benefits.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately, we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!