At GenapSys we are working to power the world of healthcare and diagnostics with advanced DNA sequencing technology. Our sequencing instrument platform leverages a proprietary electrical microfluidic sequencing chip with a scalable number of detectors, enabling a wide range of applications including targeted sequencing in oncology, pharmacogenomics and genome-wide sequencing in microbiology and others. We believe in a world where every researcher has a compact, scalable, and affordable sequencer in their own lab, empowering the democratization of genetic sequencing. Our novel sequencing method is revolutionizing genomics discovery, biomedical research, healthcare, diagnostics, agriculture, and a variety of other fields.
About the Role
The Principal Systems Architect Mechanical Engineer will play an exciting and very important role within the R&D Instrumentation Engineering Team. This position will lead, direct, and coordinate, and collaborate in the design of new GenapSys DNA Sequencing instrument platforms.
- Directly responsible for the top, systems-level, architectural design of new sequencing instruments to meet strict performance, size, cost, manufacturability, and reliability requirements
- In collaboration with design engineering, cross functional stakeholder, and executive teams
- Drive for clear definition of requirements and scope
- Lead generation and evaluation of design concepts
- Identify constraints, risks, and areas requiring investigation
- Define tests to answer key questions, mitigate risks, and demonstrate proof of concepts
- Drive for consensus in concept selection
- Define module interfaces and interfaces between mechanical, electrical, firmware, software, reagent, and user interfaces
- Work closely with mechanical, electrical, firmware, and software engineers, as well as reagent and assay development team members, to deliver cohesive prototype and commercial designs for instruments and consumables
- Use sound judgment, creativity, intuition, and experience with disciplined approaches to assess and mitigate risks while meeting aggressive timelines
- Create clear, effective documentation, including requirements, block diagrams, specifications, cost analysis, engineering analysis, drawings, fluidic schematics, BOMs, test cases/reports, presentations, and traceability matrices
- Provide technical leadership in project planning
- 12+ years of relevant post-academic experience
- 5+ years direct experience as a Systems Architect with above responsibilities
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, mechatronics, or systems engineering
- Experience translating broad, complex requirements into simple, compact, easy to use, low cost, manufacturable, and reliable designs
- Able to quickly conceive multiple design options, communicate tradeoffs, and lead consensus
- Fully proficient in using Solidworks to create concept cartoons, detailed mechanical designs, and drawings, including appropriate definition of critical dimensions and tolerances
- Broad knowledge of fabrication processes, tolerances, and corresponding typical applications, including, but not limited to: machining, sheet metal, plastic injection molding, and casting
- Excellent communication skills and initiative
- A record of delivering on commitments in busy, fast-paced environments
- Master's degree in mechanical engineering, mechatronics, or systems engineering
- A breadth and depth of experience bringing similar small-scale, life science, laboratory instrumentation products and consumables from concept through successful commercialization
- Has developed systems that precisely move fluid on the micro scale (ID ~ 500 micron), including control and management of flow rate, bubbles, leaks, and carryover contamination
- Understands pneumatics, temperature control, actuating mechanisms, PCBA packaging, custom plastic and metal parts, structures, motor control, and enclosures (skins)
- DOE and DOE tools (e.g. Minitab).
- Working under a phased gate, Product Development Process (PDP).
- Development under ISO 13485 compliant QMS systems.
What we offer (US based-employees)*
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options.
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to work on problems that matter in a highly collaborative environment.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately, we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!