At GenapSys we are working to power the world of healthcare and diagnostics with advanced DNA sequencing technology. Our sequencing instrument platform leverages a proprietary electrical microfluidic sequencing chip with a scalable number of detectors, enabling a wide range of applications including targeted sequencing in oncology, pharmacogenomics and genome-wide sequencing in microbiology and others. We believe in a world where every researcher has a compact, scalable, and affordable sequencer in their own lab, empowering the democratization of genetic sequencing. Our novel sequencing method is revolutionizing genomics discovery, biomedical research, healthcare, diagnostics, agriculture, and a variety of other fields.
Our team brings together an incredibly diverse and multidisciplinary set of backgrounds and skills – from electrical and mechanical engineers, physicists, chemists, microfluidic engineers, molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, mathematicians and more. It is a super exciting time to join GenapSys as we recently launched our first product which is generating a tremendous amount of interest.
About the Role:
The Senior Polymer Chemist will perform synthesis, purification, and characterization of polymers and all related research and development activities for GenapSys. The chemist will engage in a challenging work environment at GenapSys Inc. to lead and conduct biopolymer formulation research and develop products for our customers. The Senior Polymer Chemist will be part of increasingly stronger R&D teams who work in close collaboration with peers on innovations. The Senior Polymer Chemist will lead and conduct research into the structures and properties of polymers in order to obtain information that could be used to develop new products or enhance existing ones.
- Actively interface with business and technology leaders to develop custom polymer formulation and/or processes adhering to customer specifications, quality requirements, and operational goals and standards.
- Contribute to product platform development through the application of statistical experimental design, product testing, and data analysis.
- Perform literature and patent searches to guide experimentation.
- Develop test methods and establish quality controls for new materials/processes.
- Summarize experimental strategies and data analysis in written reports and presentations for communication with peers, customers, and various levels of management.
- Characterize polymers and compositions and determine polymer physical and mechanical properties
- Make substantial individual and collaborative contributions within multi-disciplinary, cross-functional teams.
- Develop new polymers and compositions with new or specific properties for use in a variety of products and applications.
- Devise testing methods to evaluate the effects of various processing and use conditions on particular polymers.
- Plan laboratory experiments to confirm feasibility of processes and techniques used in the production of polymers having defined characteristics.
- Prepare technical reports detailing procedures, outcomes, observations, and study findings for the use by customers, other scientists and requestors.
- Recommend polymers to match different application needs.
- Research methods of processing, converting, and fabricating polymers in order to develop new products
- Ph.D. degree in Chemistry or Polymer Chemistry required with up to 10 years of industrial polymer experience.
- Knowledge of the Polymer development and commercialization process.
- Strong collaborator, team-oriented, and ability to influence necessary outcomes.
- Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills needed to manage multiple ongoing projects simultaneously
- Proficient in chemical and analytical laboratory operations
- Knowledge of the multidisciplinary principles and advanced techniques of biology, molecular biology, chemistry, physics, math, and statistics.
- Skill in the operation of laboratory equipment and in the use of a computer and applicable software.
- Ability to conduct advanced analyses and tests; to interpret test results; to prepare reports; to develop procedures; to communicate effectively; and to plan, assign, and/or supervise the work of others.
- Proficient in handling non-pathogenic biological objects and chemical agents
- Demonstrated ability to exercise a high degree of independent judgment.
- Proficient in using computers with Windows Operating System including Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Advanced working knowledge of quality control principles to a wide range of development documents and records including regulatory submissions.
- Ability to effectively manage workload to meet aggressive development timelines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to interact, cooperate, and motivate across departments and functions.
- Stays current on all applicable SOP, safety, human resource, and annual laboratory quality related training.
- Prior experience using LIMS systems a plus.
- Proven ability to critically evaluate scientific and technical information from a Quality and Regulatory perspective.
- Knowledge about the polymer industry, products and technologies.
- This position may have supervisory responsibilities.
What we offer (US based-employees)*:
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options.
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to work on problems that matter in a highly collaborative environment.
GenapSys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any GenapSys employee. GenapSys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees absent a formal agreement.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!