At GenapSys we are working to power the world of healthcare and diagnostics with advanced DNA sequencing technology. Our sequencing instrument platform leverages a proprietary electrical microfluidic sequencing chip with a scalable number of detectors, enabling a wide range of applications including targeted sequencing in oncology, pharmacogenomics and genome-wide sequencing in microbiology and others. We believe in a world where every researcher has a compact, scalable, and affordable sequencer in their own lab, empowering the democratization of genetic sequencing. Our novel sequencing method is revolutionizing genomics discovery, biomedical research, healthcare, diagnostics, agriculture, and a variety of other fields.
Our team brings together an incredibly diverse and multidisciplinary set of backgrounds and skills – from electrical and mechanical engineers, physicists, chemists, microfluidic engineers, molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, mathematicians and more. It is a super exciting time to join GenapSys as we recently launched our first product which is generating a tremendous amount of interest.
About the Role:
We are seeking a Controller to lead the Finance Department. As our Controller. The ideal candidate will lead all accounting operations, technical accounting, compliance, tax, and financial reporting. The ideal candidate is a highly driven, adaptable, results oriented and be able to work well in high stress environments. In addition, we are looking for someone who is well organized, is logical thinking decision-maker and has an analytical, detailed approach to researching and problem solving
- Owning financial close operations, tax, consolidation, revenue recognition and technical accounting
- Financial reporting under both GAAP and managerial frameworks - a successful candidate will be well versed in meeting both requirements, and will "know their audience" for all materials
- Work closely on a daily basis with members of the leadership team on budgeting and forecasting.
- Evaluating new technical accounting developments, create awareness within organization and work with business partners to develop beneficially compliant business recommendations
- Use financial know-how to improve profits and operations, reduce costs, and develop strategies for the company.
- Ensure that the monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements are completed on a timely basis and in accordance with GAAP
- Manage month-end close processes, including preparing and reviewing journal entries and account reconciliations
- Handle system administrator role related to accounting and finance related software
- Manage monthly and quarterly internal management reporting package, including preparing variance and fluctuation analysis
- Manage annual financial audits with our auditors: negotiate project fees and manage deadlines, prepare schedules, compile support, reconcile accounts, maintain relationships with external audit team
- Drive continuous improvement of financial tools, business modeling and financial planning processes that can scale with the Company's growth
- Develop and maintain a monthly reporting package to senior management covering key financial and operational metrics, corporate performance against budgets/forecasts
- Manage the stock administrative function including the calculation of equity-based compensation expense in accordance with ASC 718, experience with Solium software
- Preparation of reports for the Board of Directors, Executive Management and external parties as needed
- BA/BS in business, accounting or related field.
- A minimum of eight years of experience in accounting and finance; experience with a Big 4 or other national accounting firm preferred, ideally in a high-growth start-up.
- Demonstrated proficiency in ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with multiple functional areas in a collaborative, team environment.
- Self-starter with ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks, cope with multiple deadlines, dynamically changing and fast-paced environment.
- High level of attention to detail, aptitude for planning/managing multiple deadlines, strong analytical skills.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, with strong presentation skills.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and internal controls.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft & Google products; experience working and extracting information from various ERP systems.
- Experience implementing and using accounting, finance and equity administration software programs.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to the mission; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the leadership team the responsibility for finance, and a self-starter who can work independently with minimal guidance.
Bonus Points If:
- Experience with NetSuite, ADP, Solium and/or Zenefits.
- Previous experience in life sciences and technology companies with commercial operations.
What we offer (US based-employees)*:
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options.
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to work on problems that matter in a highly collaborative environment.
*Eligible international employees’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
GenapSys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any GenapSys employee. GenapSys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees absent a formal agreement.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!