At GenapSys we are working to power the world of healthcare and diagnostics with advanced DNA sequencing technology. Our sequencing instrument platform leverages a proprietary electrical microfluidic sequencing chip with a scalable number of detectors, enabling a wide range of applications including targeted sequencing in oncology, pharmacogenomics and genome-wide sequencing in microbiology and others. We believe in a world where every researcher has a compact, scalable, and affordable sequencer in their own lab, empowering the democratization of genetic sequencing. Our novel sequencing method is revolutionizing genomics discovery, biomedical research, healthcare, diagnostics, agriculture, and a variety of other fields.
Our team brings together an incredibly diverse and multidisciplinary set of backgrounds and skills – from electrical and mechanical engineers, physicists, chemists, microfluidic engineers, molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, mathematicians and more. It is a super exciting time to join GenapSys as we recently launched our first product which is generating a tremendous amount of interest.
About the Role:
We are currently looking for a creative, talented, and innovative individual to join the GenapSys team as a Senior Staff Systems Architect Engineer reporting to the Director, Instrumentation to develop our next generation sequencer and sample prep instruments.
- Directly responsible for systems architecture of new instruments to meet strict performance, size, cost, manufacturability, and reliability requirements.
- In collaboration with cross functional and executive teams
- Drive for clear definition of requirements and scope
- Lead generation and evaluation of design concepts
- Drive for consensus in concept selection
- Identify constraints, risks, and areas requiring investigation
- Define tests to answer key questions, mitigate risks, and demonstrate proof of concepts
- Work closely with mechanical, electrical, firmware, and software engineers and reagent development team members to deliver cohesive prototype and commercial designs for instruments and consumables.
- Use sound judgment, creativity, intuition, and experience with disciplined approaches to assess and mitigate risks while meeting aggressive timelines.
- Create clear, effective documentation, including requirements, block diagrams, specifications, cost analysis, engineering analysis, drawings, fluidic schematics, BOMs, test cases/reports, presentations, and traceability matrices.
- Provide technical leadership in project planning.
- 12+ years of relevant post-academic experience.
- 5+ years direct experience as a Systems Architect with above responsibilities, preferably in a Life Science company.
- Bachelor's or Masters’ degree in mechanical engineering, mechatronics, or systems engineering.
- Experience translating broad, complex requirements into simple, compact, easy to use, low cost, manufacturable, and reliable designs.
- Excellent communication skills and initiative.
- A record of delivering on commitments in busy, fast-paced environments.
Bonus Points If:
- A breadth and depth of experience bringing similar small-scale, life science, laboratory instrumentation products and consumables from concept through successful commercialization.
- Able to quickly conceive multiple design options, communicate tradeoffs, and lead consensus.
- Fully proficient in using Solidworks to create concept cartoons, detailed mechanical designs, and drawings, including appropriate definition of critical dimensions and tolerances.
- Has developed systems that precisely move fluid on the micro scale (ID ~ 500 micron) includes control and management of flow rate, bubbles, leaks, and carryover contamination.
- Understands pneumatics, temperature control, actuating mechanisms, PCBA packaging, custom plastic and metal parts, structures, motor control, and enclosures (skins).
- Broad knowledge of fabrication processes, tolerances, and corresponding typical applications, including, but not limited to: machining, sheet metal, plastic injection molding, and casting.
- Preferred: experience in development under ISO 13485 compliant QMS systems.
What we offer (US based-employees)*:
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options.
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to work on problems that matter in a highly collaborative environment.
*Eligible international employees’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
GenapSys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any GenapSys employee. GenapSys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees absent a formal agreement.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!