At GenapSys we are developing a DNA-sequencing technology that will revolutionize the world of healthcare and diagnostics. Our system will enable fast, accurate, and ultra-low cost genetic tests in order to better understand (and ultimately treat) genetic diseases such as Cancer, Parkinson’s, Diabetes, and Alzheimer's, just to name a few. GenapSys was founded by Dr. Hesaam Esfandyarpour and incubated over 6 years (2004-2010) at Stanford University.
Our team brings together an incredibly diverse and multidisciplinary set of backgrounds and skills – from electrical and mechanical engineers to physicists, chemists, microfluidic engineers, molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, mathematicians, and more. Together we will advance scientific and medical knowledge and improve human health through cheaper, faster, and more accurate DNA sequencing technologies. We are working cross-functionally to make a great impact in the world – join us on that mission!
We’re looking for a talented and organized team player to work at a fast-paced startup. This individual will be eager and enthusiastic, and someone who wants to take on many responsibilities. This position requires someone who is willing to roll up their sleeves and work hard to push product development forward. Formal educational background may include: molecular biology, genetics, biomedical engineering, cell biology, chemical engineering, or biophysics. The Scientist will report to the Sr Manager, Molecular Biology and Applications, and will gain the experience of working closely with experts in Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Chemistry and Engineering. This position offers the opportunity to make a direct impact on the development of exciting Genomic Applications for the Research and Clinical markets, and drive the advancement and adoption of Genapsys’ breakthrough NGS platform.
- Implement novel and existing NGS applications
- Develop, optimize and perform NGS workflow steps, including sample preparation, library preparation, amplification and sequencing
- Drive NGS Technology Development in a cross-disciplinary setting, including improving and automating NGS workflow steps
- Data driven - critically analyze and derive insights from experimental data, esp. NGS data, using standard and custom NGS bioinformatics tools
- Independently design experimental plans, execute experiments, perform in-depth data analysis, and present results and conclusions for internal review. Demonstrate exceptional time management skills and a ‘can do’ approach to the challenges at hand
- Collaborate effectively within a multidisciplinary organization
- Scientist with outstanding expertise and background in Genomics, Molecular Biology, Next Generation Sequencing, Biomedical engineering, Cell Biology, Genetics, or related fields
- Ph.D., preferably with 2+ years of industry or academic postdoctoral experience
- Extensive hands-on experience with nucleic acid and sample preparation technologies, NGS assay development, and current sequencing technologies is required
- In-depth knowledge and experience with NGS applications in one or more areas: Oncology, Metagenomics, Transcriptomics (RNA-seq), ChIP-seq, Multiplex Amplicon panels, Resequencing etc. is required.
- An analytical approach to problem solving, e.g. experience with statistical tools for experimental analysis, such as Excel, Matlab, JMP.
- Experience of Technology Development in a cross-disciplinary environment, preferably experience working with instrumentation and automation
- Experience with genomic databases and standard bioinformatics tools, preferably with custom analysis tools using Matlab, Python, R, is desirable.
- Experience in commercial NGS product development is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of current and evolving trends in the NGS field is important
- Demonstrated independence in leading projects and trouble-shooting, and working in multidisciplinary teams.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation and stock options
- Anthem Blue Cross PPO and Kaiser Medical (including for dependents)
- Excellent Dental and Vision through Guardian
- Fully sponsored Life, Short and Long-term Disability insurance
- FSA, 401(k) retirement plan
- Stocked kitchen and beverages, daily catered gourmet lunches
- Weekly Fancy High Tea and Happy Hours
- Free complex onsite gym membership
- Learning and growth opportunities
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies:
Genapsys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any Genapsys employee. Genapsys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of Genapsys.