At GenapSys we are working to power the world of healthcare and diagnostics with advanced DNA sequencing technology. Our sequencing instrument platform leverages a proprietary electrical microfluidic sequencing chip with a scalable number of detectors, enabling a wide range of applications including targeted sequencing in oncology, pharmacogenomics and genome-wide sequencing in microbiology and others. We believe in a world where every researcher has a compact, scalable, and affordable sequencer in their own lab, empowering the democratization of genetic sequencing. Our novel sequencing method is revolutionizing genomics discovery, biomedical research, healthcare, diagnostics, agriculture, and a variety of other fields.
Our team brings together an incredibly diverse and multidisciplinary set of backgrounds and skills – from electrical and mechanical engineers, physicists, chemists, microfluidic engineers, molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, mathematicians and more. It is a super exciting time to join GenapSys as we recently launched our first product which is generating a tremendous amount of interest.
About the Role:
We are currently looking for a talented and organized team player to join our fast-paced startup as a Service Repair Engineer to service our growing fleet of reliable, high-quality DNA sequencing instrument products. The ideal candidate for this role will have extensive, hands-on experience servicing instrumentation products in the Life Science space. This role primarily works in the Service Repair Depot at our office in Redwood City, California. Field travel to customer sites for on-site diagnosis and repair as needed may be required.
- Perform testing and repair of DNA sequencer and related workflow instrument products at the system, subsystem, interface, and component levels, both at Genapsys and at customer sites.
- Document test plans, results, conclusions, and traceability with product requirements and design specifications.
- Analyze test failures, perform troubleshooting, work with design engineers to identify root cause, and verify corrective actions
- Perform routine preventive maintenance on DNA sequencer and related workflow instrument products including completion of checklists, certifications and service report documentation of all work performed.
- Establishes customer satisfaction through excellence in repair and support of customer products.
- Maintains communication with customer to ensure understanding of all aspects of the service event i.e. status, cost, scheduling, etc.
- Provides rapid, courteous, and knowledgeable response to customers inquires.
- Serves as customer advocate and manages the escalation of unresolved customer or technical issues to management, product support specialist and/or quality assurance.
- Supports the Quality System and Quality Policy by following procedures/work instructions and creating records to meet the requirements of the Quality System Regulation
- Maintains spare parts inventory, tools, certified test equipment, and items related to the Service Repair Depot
- Other duties as required as necessary
- Completion of High School or GED and 2+ years of related technical training, preferably a bachelor degree.
- 3+ years of experience successfully doing relevant service work of electromechanical instruments.
- Ability to diagnose and prioritize issues based on basic electronic and mechanical aptitude.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including written and oral communication.
- Adequate experience in Windows, Microsoft Office and preferably Linux.
- Ability to learn new systems, technologies and work instructions quickly and apply the learning efficiently and effectively.
- Result oriented - has a track record for delivery results, takes ownership and being accountable.
- Customer Service oriented – high sense of urgency.
- Skilled at cable termination and assembling PCBAs and mechanical assemblies including pneumatic and microfluidic components.
- Experience in a bio-chemistry lab is preferable.
Bonus Points If:
- Sound analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Innovative, independent, driven, and results-oriented.
- Methodical and comprehensive, yet flexible and able to easily adjust to evolving requirements and navigate in a fast-paced environment to meet tight schedules.
- Effective and proactive written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate within a cross-functional array of mechanical, electrical, system, and software engineers, application scientists, and technicians.
- Experience testing cross functional areas, including mechanical, electrical, embedded firmware, low level software, and micro/meso fluidics (e.g. leaks, carryover, bubble management, clogs).
- Knowledge of meso and microfluidic scale components and systems (e.g. complex manifolds and chips), fluid, pressure, and mechanical sensors, small liquid isolation and selector valves, electromechanical components, mechanisms, and assemblies, liquid and air pumps, heaters, cooling systems, PID control loops, and electronic/firmware controls through custom PCBAs.
- Compliance (safety, EMC, environmental) for C.E., UL, or equivalent certification.
- Ability to analyze and apply understanding of mechanical and electrical designs, software and firmware code, algorithms, and interfaces, to efficiently troubleshoot and resolve test failures, including the ability to use software tools to open and review mechanical CAD, fluidic schematics, electrical schematics and layouts, firmware and software code, and algorithms.
- Experience using test equipment such as logic analyzer, oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, and RF signal generator.
- Able to write clear, SMART (Specific Measurable Acceptable Realistic and Time-bound) requirements and establish traceability with design, test cases, and results.
- Experience designing and building electrical and mechanical test fixtures.
- Ability to lift 30 Lbs. without assistance.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
What we offer (US based-employees)*:
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options.
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to work on problems that matter in a highly collaborative environment.
*Eligible international employees’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
GenapSys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any GenapSys employee. GenapSys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees absent a formal agreement.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!