At GenapSys we are working to power the world of healthcare and diagnostics with advanced DNA sequencing technology. Our sequencing instrument platform leverages a proprietary electrical microfluidic sequencing chip with a scalable number of detectors, enabling a wide range of applications including targeted sequencing in oncology, pharmacogenomics and genome-wide sequencing in microbiology and others. We believe in a world where every researcher has a compact, scalable, and affordable sequencer in their own lab, empowering the democratization of genetic sequencing. Our novel sequencing method is revolutionizing genomics discovery, biomedical research, healthcare, diagnostics, agriculture, and a variety of other fields.
Our team brings together an incredibly diverse and multidisciplinary set of backgrounds and skills – from electrical and mechanical engineers, physicists, chemists, microfluidic engineers, molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, mathematicians and more. It is a super exciting time to join GenapSys as we recently launched our first product which is generating a tremendous amount of interest.
About the Role:
We are looking for a Bioinformatics Scientist who can develop, maintain, and evolve novel next generation sequence analysis software and pipelines with a focus on run assessment, data quality, knowledge integration, data interpretation, hypothesis generation and testing, as well as common sequence alignment algorithms/tools and NGS applications. Demonstrable experience using data mining and analysis tools to identify dominant patterns in next generation sequence datasets to diagnose instrument performance.
- Play a key role in developing comprehensive bioinformatic analysis solutions for the Genapsys NGS data
- Perform detailed bioinformatics analysis including reference genome alignment, targeted sequencing, mapping, annotation and variant calling using a variety of data sets generated by the Genius platform as well as other NGS systems
- Analyze sequencing datasets to assess quality of experimental data and provide feedback to signal processing and algorithm teams for further improvement
- Monitor data integrity and quality and alert team members when inconsistencies arise and help troubleshoot the problem
- Actively participate in the ongoing development of the Genapsys sequencing technology.
- PhD or MS in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Computational Biology, Electrical Engineering/Signal processing or a related field with > 5 years’ experience.
- Hands-on experience with bioinformatics methods appropriate for NGS applications (targeted sequencing, RNASeq, CHiPSeq, and de novo genome assembly).
- Hands-on experience with genome alignment, mapping, variant calling and annotation (e.g. BWA, Bowtie, STAR, GATK, samtools, bcftools).
- Deep understanding of next generation sequence sequencing methods, quality scores and their interpretation.
- Experience with open source bioinformatics and genome analysis tools (e.g. samtools, bedtools).
- Experience designing and developing research and/ or production grade bioinformatics pipeline solutions for NGS applications.
- Solid experience in Python, and demonstrated experience in other programming/scripting languages: R, Bash.
- Ability to work collaboratively with primary analysis team, software developers, and the pipeline team.
- Prior experience in a NGS company or NGS research lab is a plus.
- Prior experience in developing NGS pipelines is a plus.
- Ability to apply advanced statistical methods, machine learning, data science to molecular biology.
What we offer (US based-employees)*:
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options.
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to work on problems that matter in a highly collaborative environment.
*Eligible international employees’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
GenapSys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any GenapSys employee. GenapSys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees absent a formal agreement.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!