At GenapSys we are working to power the world of healthcare and diagnostics with advanced DNA sequencing technology. Our sequencing instrument platform leverages a proprietary electrical microfluidic sequencing chip with a scalable number of detectors, enabling a wide range of applications including targeted sequencing in oncology, pharmacogenomics and genome-wide sequencing in microbiology and others. We believe in a world where every researcher has a compact, scalable, and affordable sequencer in their own lab, empowering the democratization of genetic sequencing. Our novel sequencing method is revolutionizing genomics discovery, biomedical research, healthcare, diagnostics, agriculture, and a variety of other fields.
Our team brings together an incredibly diverse and multidisciplinary set of backgrounds and skills – from electrical and mechanical engineers, physicists, chemists, microfluidic engineers, molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, mathematicians and more. It is a super exciting time to join GenapSys as we recently launched our first product which is generating a tremendous amount of interest.
About the Role:
We are looking for a VP of Genomics to join our leadership team and report to the Chief Executive Officer in our Redwood City, CA office. The successful candidate will have a major impact on the direction of our core technologies, application direction and defining and developing the next generation of GenapSys products.
- Technical leadership and management of all R & D staff and programs related to library preparation, sequencing biochemistry and molecular biology, and applications development.
- Working with marketing and operations, develop specifications and manage development for all consumable products.
- Work closely with operations and quality teams to effectively and efficiently transfer products from the lab to manufacturing.
- Drive, with marketing, the generation of collateral technical literature to support product launches, as well as novel applications that will help drive systems and consumable market adoption.
- Working with the commerical organization, establish collaborations with KOL laboratories and alliances with genomics companies.
- Hands-on management in a disciplined manner.
- As part of executive team, contribute to instrument, software product specifications and development, drawing on NGS experience.
- Ph.D. in genetics, molecular biology or biochemistry.
- Post-doctoral experience in a genomics-related field.
- At least 5 years of increasing responsibility in R & D leadership roles at a life science tool provider or genomics company. Relevant experience would include NGS-tools providers (reagents and/or instruments) or a genomics company based on NGS (such as molecular diagnostics, NIPT, consumer genomics, liquid biopsy-focused companies) where sequence data is their product.
- Detailed working knowledge of modern sequencing methods, the field of genomics, and informatics. Demonstrated understanding of all “wet lab” elements in and around NGS, including sample and library prep, amplification and sequencing biochemistries, polymerase enzymology, surface immobilization of nucleic acids, sequence analysis algorithms pipelines and standard sequencing read out formats.
- Extensive and successful experience in product development, with a clear understanding of PDP and QMS processes. Has put successful products in a box.
- Working knowledge of developing products that are used in regulated (LDT and/or FDA approved) settings is desirable.
- Track record of working with operations teams to develop robust, cost effective, high quality and manufacturable products.
- Strong track record of publications and podium presentations essential. Well-known and respected in the genomics field is a plus.
Bonus Points If:
- High degree of personal integrity, scientific rigor, strong interpersonal skills, comfortable in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Clearly recognized internally, based on professional track record and daily demeanor, company leadership for all reagent-based products..
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Works independently, but interactively.
- Enjoys and is effective giving scientific presentations, both internally and externally.
- Highly motivational and interactive both within his/her chain of command, but ability to interact and influence peers and CEO. High energy, but disciplined, approach to his/her departments work.
What we offer (US based-employees)*:
- Competitive compensation and generous stock options.
- Comprehensive, industry-leading medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents.
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses.
- 401(k) retirement plan with matching employer contribution.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program.
- Work with driven and enthusiastic colleagues in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, the opportunity to work on problems that matter in a highly collaborative environment.
*Eligible international employees’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
GenapSys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any GenapSys employee. GenapSys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees absent a formal agreement.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!