Gemini Therapeutics (Nasdaq: GMTX) is a biotechnology company pioneering precision therapeutics for patients with high-risk genetic profiles linked to dry age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and rare systemic diseases. Our therapeutic candidates are matched to molecular abnormalities found in patients with high clinical need and Gemini’s broad multimodal pipeline includes monoclonal antibodies, recombinant proteins and gene therapies. Launched with funding from leading life science investors and powered by academic partnerships around the world, Gemini is developing a series of first-in-class therapeutics. At Gemini we cultivate a climate where colleagues are expected to be genuine, are adaptable and can flex, and are driven to pursue novel ideas.
About the Role
We are looking to hire an experienced VP, Clinical Operations to contribute to Gemini’s fast-paced growth and clinical development programs in 2021 and beyond. This role will report to the Chief Medical Officer.
- Provides strategic leadership and direction to all of Gemini’s early and late-stage clinical studies. Establishes an appropriate framework and oversight including input into strategy, prioritization, reviews and decision making to maximize the probability of achieving the on time and on budget delivery of clinical programs which is a Gemini top priority and CEO imperative as well as a critical success factor. This position is accountable for the on-time and on- budget operational delivery of all of Gemini’s worldwide clinical trials with speed, quality and data integrity.
- Proactively responds to the needs of other functions and influences appropriately to ensure the successful delivery of the portfolio. Successful delivery requires establishing strong relationships working in partnership with key stakeholders across Development, R&D, and Gemini. Seeks alignment within the organization in order to deliver outputs and achieve the overall strategy.
- Seeks to continually raise the bar for the operationalization of Gemini study teams, driving both timeline and resource efficiency, partnering cross-functionally for shared learning across the portfolio.
- The VP will seamlessly manage multiple and competing resource and product streams with a focus on financial health and delivering projects on or under budget. Able to reallocate resources with ease in the face of changing priorities while remaining focused on innovation and streamlining processes.
- Brings a “can-do” attitude while being able to respectfully challenge partners and be assertive when necessary around project timelines, finances, and scope; stretches Clinical Operations to deliver more, while also serving as a gatekeeper for new initiatives and studies when it comes to feasibility, regulatory issues, and prioritization within overall budget and resource constraints.
- Directly leads the Clinical Operations team. Ensures the recruitment and development of the right talent and therapeutic area expertise to enable the appropriate level of strategic input into clinical program design and clinical study design. Responsible for the growth and development of talent within Clinical Operations organization; for building upon our Gemini culture; for building a safe and inclusive environment; for building a diverse, high-performing organization.
- Develops and implements strategic vendor selection and management/oversight program for the wide range of vendors to be used in Gemini’s clinical development. Is accountable for resolving vendor issues that need to be addressed at the executive level.
- Maintains an up-to-date industry knowledge and future trends in clinical development and operationalization of clinical trials. Participate in Industry leading groups and other leadership Forums to advocate the Gemini position and drive industry level change in the conduct of clinical trials. Ensures Gemini is on the forefront of driving the change.
- Thrives in ambiguity and able to look at processes from an overarching viewpoint to see what can be optimized; prepared to drive that optimization. Drives continual improvement across Clinical Operations practices, processes and performance to achieve world class clinical execution while driving transformational change to take and keep Gemini ahead of the competition.
- A minimum of 15 years of bio-pharmaceutical industry experience in a global pharma organization delivering medicines/therapies to a broad market across various therapeutic areas.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a scientific discipline or previous experience working directly in a clinical research setting.
- Broad knowledge and track record of successfully managing clinical trial operations through all stages of the drug development lifecycle. Knows what can go wrong and how to proactively prepare for all possible outcomes.
- Direct experience in ophthalmology clinical research across early and late stage programs
- Demonstrated high level of competency in leadership behaviors.
- Big picture and strategic thinker – can formulate a vision of future state and lead the organization to build tactical plans to achieve this. Experience implementing large-scale change and process improvements relating to medical operations and/or clinical trials.
- Excellent collaborator – easily builds relationships and gains cross functional alignment. Experience with cross-functional leadership and a proven ability to influence and get things done within the intricacies of a highly matrixed organization.
- Excellent business and financial aptitude, very analytical and uses data to drive the business and continuous improvements.
- Experience leading scaled global teams; managing and developing talent; leader of leaders who is able to engage, inspire and align large, diverse teams of seasoned professionals.