An exciting opportunity to join GCM Grosvenor, one of the world’s largest independent alternative asset management firms, as a Principal in the firm’s European Private Equity Investments team. The Principal will join a small team of investment professionals focused on the European market and a broader global PE investment team of over forty investment professionals. The successful candidate will be involved in all aspects of private equity fund investments and co-investments, including sourcing, due diligence, transaction execution and investment monitoring.
The individual will be involved in the following critical activities:
- Execute due diligence on private equity fund investment opportunities, including reviewing managers’ strategies, performance, and team capabilities.
- Execute due diligence on private equity co-investment opportunities from start to finish, including initial company review, development of investment structures, financial review, creation of detailed valuation models, sensitizing company operating models, industry analyses and review of all third-party diligence reports.
- Focus on developing relationships, sourcing new opportunities directly and through intermediaries.
- Think as a principal investor, converting market knowledge and due diligence findings into well-developed investment recommendations.
- Prepare Investment Committee memoranda based on due diligence findings and present recommendations to, and participate in, internal Investment Committee meetings.
- Offer insights and ideas regarding potential investments, creative transaction structures and deal terms that help lead to successful transactions.
- Review partnership agreements and other documents associated with potential investments to identify potential issues and negotiate appropriate rights.
- Communicate with sellers/advisors through the investment process.
- Coordinate all aspects of transaction execution and deal closing process with legal advisors, sponsors and internal finance team.
- Monitor and report on company/portfolio performance and draft investor communications, including periodic updates on company/portfolio performance. Communicate with current and prospective investors about pending investments.
- Assist with the tracking and prioritization of investment opportunities.
- Assist with special projects (business development, investor relations, etc.) on an as-needed basis.
- Support fundraising efforts for private equity separate account mandates and commingled funds.
- Support client relationship management, including ongoing portfolio management and reporting activities.
- Supervise junior investment staff by training them on investment analysis and internal processes.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The ideal experience and critical competencies for the role include the following:
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree with a concentration in Finance, Economics, Accounting or a related field with strong academic performance. Advanced degree a plus but not required.
- 6+ years of relevant work experience. Relevant work experience would include, but not be limited to, the following areas of specialty: private equity, M&A, leveraged finance, corporate finance or valuation services.
- Prior private equity related investment/transaction experience strongly preferred.
- Strong quantitative skills and analytical ability.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and experience with MS Word, PowerPoint, research and other computer applications.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to articulate opinions and write clear and concise memoranda on investment opportunities.
- Highly motivated, ambitious and industrious investment professional with exceptional organizational skills, decision making and problem solving skills.
- Strong work ethic, professional demeanor and high degree of integrity.
- Ability to effectively interact with a large diverse team and to work both independently and as a productive member of transaction teams.
- Willingness and ability to travel within Europe and internationally as needed and as appropriate to support the Firm’s investment and business development activities.
- Ability to balance multiple concurrent projects and to prioritize workload and shift attention among changing tasks and priorities.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work in a fast paced, changing environment and desire to work in dynamic, entrepreneurial organization.
- Established relationships in the European private equity industry a plus.
- Second and/or third languages in addition to English are highly preferable, particularly German.
In terms of cultural fit, the successful candidate will be self-motivated and energized by working amongst a group of thoughtful, smart and successful colleagues. He or she will enjoy being part of an organization focused on excellence and will be a naturally collaborative person who enjoys interacting with individuals at all levels. Additionally, he or she will be a strong team player with a proactive approach and the ability to exercise discretion and judgment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V