Video lies at the heart of the Gather experience, providing a low-latency, seamless experience for the spontaneous interactions we're known for. Our video infrastructure handles thousands of concurrent users, spanning all continents of the world.
Unlike traditional room-based video infrastructure, our video infra allows any two users to have a directional audio/video connection — enabling experiences such as podiums, where a speaker can address a large audience while the audience remains quiet to the speaker, yet the audience can still mingle amongst their neighbors, just like in real life. Our video infrastructure spans 4 data centers, ~500 servers, and features an SFU-based design built in-house.
As a video systems engineer, you would take responsibility (along with a small team) for the design and implementation of this integral part of our product.
Where you will make an impact:
- Increase the maximum number of simultaneous videos we can reliably display to users beyond our current maximum of 9.
- Increase the maximum size of a reliable fully connected audio conversation beyond our current maximum of 20.
- Increase the quality of videos we can reliably display to users.
- Increase the maximum size of broadcasts from our current limit of 1-to-200 by forwarding streams between SFUs.
- Degrade quality more gracefully for bandwidth or CPU constrained devices, as well as better handling of spurious spikes in latency/congestion.
- Make the system better able to recover from various faults and errors
- Set up metrics to get a better handle on what quality of service our users are experiencing, and to inform further improvements.
- Build automated tests to ensure the reliability and performance of our video infrastructure as we change it
What you will bring:
- Experience working on a large scale group video calling platform like Zoom or Google Meet
- Experience working with WebRTC, either directly or with libraries that use it
- Intrinsic motivation and drive to solve difficult problems without guidance
- A keen intuition for well designed software
- Ability to ruthlessly prioritize in a chaotic and ambiguous environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
We are building a virtual universe which fundamentally improves how people interact online.
Today, that means a powerful remote-social platform. We already have people working out of our office spaces, attending our virtual conferences, or going to school on our campus spaces. We have folks hosting everything from magic conventions to artist EP launches to thanksgiving dinners, and even a few weddings.
The mission of Gather is to remove physical constraints on peoples' lives, and provide a virtual world which surpasses the real one in interconnectedness, personal touch, and expressiveness.
How's our team doing so far?
In a few short months, we've gone from nothing to millions of page views per month, >1 million monthly users in Gather spaces, and numerous paid events running around the clock. Every day, we hear that this "Pokemon x Zoom thing" is the video calling platform people didn't know they were missing.
Joining Gather means jumping on a fast-moving train where you'll get plenty of agency and the potential to have huge impact in an early-stage platform changing how people live and work. These are unsolved, open ended problems with tons of room (and need) for creativity. Help us take Gather to the next level!
- Work remotely out of a state-of-the-art virtual office!
- Competitive compensation, benefits, and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their dependents
- 401k and matching program
- Generous PTO policy and mental health days
- Work-from-home equipment stipend
- Meal stipend twice a week
- The opportunity to join a passionate team in building something that actually makes peoples' lives better, every single day