We are building a virtual universe which fundamentally improves how people interact online.
Today, that means a powerful remote-social platform. We already have people working out of our office spaces, attending our virtual conferences, or going to school on our campus spaces. We have folks hosting everything from magic conventions to artist EP launches to Thanksgiving dinners, and even a few weddings.
The mission of Gather is to remove physical constraints on peoples' lives, and provide a virtual world which surpasses the real one in interconnectedness, personal touch, and expressiveness.
The Core App team is currently looking for an Engineering Manager to oversee the product engineers building remote work features that users interact with through Gather's virtual worlds. This includes prototypes of new classes of remote work and game mechanics. The Core App team is tasked with making the experience of using Gather intuitive, fun, and above all else, fundamentally worthwhile. You’ll lead this team is doing this, making sure its work process, priorities, and engineers are all aligned to create the best possible environment for the engineers to flourish and achieve the team’s goals.
Product Engineers at Gather design and implement the features that make up what is simultaneously a live video chat platform, multiplayer game, and modern web app. The thoughtful design and rapid experimentation embody the core of what’s enabled Gather to scale to where it is today and to scale to the next million Gather users. You’ll be responsible for using your customer understanding to work closely with designers, product managers, and others within the company in order to quickly design, deliver, and iterate on features. You care about connecting users and making remote work a great experience within Gather.
Where you’ll make an impact:
- Manage, mentor, and grow an extremely talented and energetic engineering team
- Work with our largest engineering team to develop the core user-facing experience of Gather
- Work closely with product and design in determining the strategy and direction of your team
- Help define the development process of the team to create a constructive and efficient work environment
- Ability to ruthless prioritize in a chaotic and ambiguous environment
- A keen intuition for well designed, sustainable software and beautiful, usable, interfaces
- Building a culture with high agency and accountability
- High technical quality, receptive to feedback
What you bring:
- 3+ years of management experience
- Experience scaling teams and processes in a high growth environment
- A strong belief in high engineer agency, responsibility, and accountability
- Strong product sense and ability to ruthlessly prioritize in a chaotic and ambiguous environment
- A compassionate but clear and focused approach to leadership
- A keen intuition for well-designed software and beautiful, usable interfaces
- Intrinsic motivation and the drive to solve difficult problems without guidance
- An open and growth mindset when giving and receiving feedback
- You are scrappy, have a bias toward action, and love moving fast
- You enjoy spending time with customers and are adept and getting to the root problems that your product is uniquely positioned to solve
- Work remotely out of a state-of-the-art virtual office!
- Competitive compensation, benefits, and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their dependents
- 401k and matching program
- Generous PTO policy and mental health days to recharge
- Meal stipend twice a week to keep you nourished
- Remote work, education, and health & wellness stipend
- Support for family planning & gender-affirmation
- The opportunity to join a passionate team in building something that actually makes peoples' lives better, every single day
Gather is committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace for individuals of all backgrounds. We strive to build a workplace where employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work, everyday. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Additionally, we're committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please notify the recruiter you are working with. We also ask that all applicants consider answering the voluntary demographic questions on our job application to help us track the inclusivity of our recruiting efforts and programs. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary and your answers will not be shared with the hiring team and will not impact the hiring decision.