We are building a virtual universe which fundamentally improves how people interact online.
Today, that means a powerful remote-social platform. We already have people working out of our office spaces, attending our virtual conferences, or going to school on our campus spaces. We have folks hosting everything from magic conventions to artist EP launches to Thanksgiving dinners, and even a few weddings.
The mission of Gather is to remove physical constraints on peoples' lives, and provide a virtual world which surpasses the real one in interconnectedness, personal touch, and expressiveness.
Come dream with us
Gather is a small team right now and that means every designer has an extremely significant role in shaping and executing on the vision of the company.
Questions we find ourselves asking:
- How do we enable the future of remote or hybrid work? What kind of product research and analysis should we be doing now in all of our product verticals to be best prepared to deliver the best customer experience for this use case?
- How do we, broadly, enable real, meaningful, social connection over the internet vs the transactional feeling that comes with traditional solutions?
- How do we emulate the experience of sitting around a table with teammates or friends and hanging out?
- How can we empower users to customize their own experience so they feel a sense of pride for their space?
- … and more!
In this role, you’ll operate as a design lead for our Remote Work product line. You’ll be a crucial part of our growing product design team to also help us define our overall design direction and vision, along with our operational processes.
What You’ll Do
- Partner with Product, Art, Maps, Engineering, Data and other depts to shape an inspiring vision and strategy for the future of our Remote Work products.
- Own the end-to-end design proposals and plans for highly strategic and complex projects – from IA to wireframes to user flows to high-fidelity mocks to prototypes and everything in between.
- Set a standard of operational excellence by driving the design side of projects extremely effectively through strong project management, clear communication, and goal setting.
- Validate ideas throughout the lifecycle of the project by interviewing/surveying customers directly, incorporating insights, and sharing insights back to the team.
- Build alignment across diverse teams by being able to successfully present ideas to a range of teams and stakeholders across Gather.
- Contribute to Gather’s growing team by mentoring designers and by introducing/adapting design best practices for organizational needs such as career ladders, design critique, research, and more.
Who You Are
- You have at least 7-10+ years of relevant experience as an individual contributor on an in-house product design team.
- You have the ability to work on ambiguous and broad problems/opportunities, along with smaller well-defined projects.
- You are a critical participant in design reviews – both in delivering feedback to teammates to strengthen their work, but also in soliciting feedback at every step of the process.
- You are strong across interaction design, visual design, prototyping, and information architecture.
- You have experience designing mobile and web consumer products at scale. A combination of consumer and B2B experience is ideal. Bonus: You have worked in gaming and/or are passionate about games yourself.
- You have exceptional verbal and written communication skills for technical and non-technical partners, internally and externally.
- You are comfortable in ambiguous situations and dynamic environments and understand what fast growing startups entail for designers.
- You are scrappy, have a bias toward action, and love moving fast.
- You enjoy spending time with customers and are adept and getting to the root problems that our product is uniquely positioned to solve.
- You know how to build strong relationships cross-functionally.
- Work remotely out of a state-of-the-art virtual office!
- Competitive compensation, benefits, and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their dependents
- 401k and matching program
- Generous PTO policy and mental health days to recharge
- Meal stipend twice a week to keep you nourished
- Remote work, education, and health & wellness stipend
- Support for family planning & gender-affirmation
- The opportunity to join a passionate team in building something that actually makes peoples' lives better, every single day
Gather is committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace for individuals of all backgrounds. We strive to build a workplace where employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work, everyday. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Additionally, we're committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please notify the recruiter you are working with. We also ask that all applicants consider answering the voluntary demographic questions on our job application to help us track the inclusivity of our recruiting efforts and programs. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary and your answers will not be shared with the hiring team and will not impact the hiring decision.