Gather's Infrastructure Team has two highly related focus areas:
- Site Reliability Engineering
- Velocity Engineering
The infrastructure team works at the foundational level, enabling our engineering team to build and ship the product as fast as possible, without compromising on stability/reliability. The team helps build the tools needed to make this possible and works hand in hand with teams across the company.
Examples of things the infra team builds and is responsible for:
- Monitoring Infra & Incident Response (Prometheus, Grafana, Loki, AlertManager, etc.)
- Testing Infra & Release Engineering (Docker, Kubernetes, CircleCI, etc.)
- Core Infrastructure & Capacity (Terraform, Kubernetes, etc.)
Gather's Tech Stack
Gather is simultaneously a modern web app, multiplayer video game, and live video chat platform. This means our infrastructure involves several main components, all built in-house:
- An HTTP service to serve the site and API
- A game service to handle real-time game state updates
- A video service to power live video chat
Gather's Application is currently written in Typescript (frontend/backend). Prior Typescript knowledge is not a requirement for the Infrastructure team.
A few focus areas today we could use a hand with
- Monitoring — help develop our monitoring system end-to-end, ensuring we have robust monitoring, alerting, and tools for development/debugging
- Release Engineering — help move us from where we are today to releasing 3 times a day! Owning everything from our git workflow, code review process, build system, configuration system, artifact management, CI/CD system, working hand in hand with engineers across the company
- Core Deployment — Managing our deployment in a way that allows us to be both extremely reliable and easily able to push new versions of the product. ****We're currently in the process of transitioning to a Kubernetes based deployment.
What you will bring:
- Software Engineering experience in Systems (OS, Distributed, Networking, etc.), Infrastructure, DevOps, SRE, or related background
- Excellent coding skills with the ability to pick up languages and tools on the fly
- A love for learning and growing yourself and the team around you
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Excitement for a fast-paced, high growth environment
- Passion for Gather and our mission
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working remotely
- Manager of one
- Experience with Prometheus, Thanos, Loki and Grafana in production
- Experience with kubernetes and terraform in production
- Experience with programming against APIs
- Experience with RBAC (kubernetes), OAuth2/SAML/OIDC
- Experience with Continuous delivery & Continuous Integration pipelines (e.g. CircleCI, Github actions)
We are building a virtual universe which fundamentally improves how people interact online.
Today, that means a powerful remote-social platform. We already have people working out of our office spaces, attending our virtual conferences, or going to school on our campus spaces. We have folks hosting everything from magic conventions to artist EP launches to thanksgiving dinners, and even a few weddings.
The mission of Gather is to remove physical constraints on peoples' lives, and provide a virtual world which surpasses the real one in interconnectedness, personal touch, and expressiveness.
How's our team doing so far?
In a few short months, we've gone from nothing to millions of page views per month, >1 million monthly users in Gather spaces, and numerous paid events running around the clock. Every day, we hear that this "Pokemon x Zoom thing" is the video calling platform people didn't know they were missing.
Joining Gather means jumping on a fast-moving train where you'll get plenty of agency and the potential to have huge impact in an early-stage platform changing how people live and work. These are unsolved, open ended problems with tons of room (and need) for creativity. Help us take Gather to the next level!
- Work remotely out of a state-of-the-art virtual office!
- Competitive compensation, benefits, and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their dependents
- 401k and matching program
- Generous PTO policy and mental health days
- Work-from-home equipment stipend
- Meal stipend twice a week
- The opportunity to join a passionate team in building something that actually makes peoples' lives better, every single day
Gather Town is committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace for individuals of all backgrounds. We strive to build a workplace where employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work, everyday. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Additionally, we're committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please let us know at HR@gather.town. We also ask that all applicants consider answering the voluntary demographic questions on our job application to help us track the inclusivity of our recruiting efforts and programs. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary and your answers will not be shared with the hiring team and will not impact the hiring decision.