Full Stack Engineers at Gather work across the entire technical stack and are especially valuable as someone who can build entirely new features themselves and also be a load balancer for whichever part of the stack currently needs the most attention.
Full Stack Engineers have done everything from setting up proxies around the Great Firewall, to building new mapmaking tools, to improving the deploy process, to adding GCal/iCal integration, to prototyping new game engines, and more. It's an opportunity to span the entire range between our hundreds of servers and our millions of users.
Help us create a marketplace for virtual worlds, free Gather from the browser, and create an on-demand virtual Corgi service!
Where you will make an impact:
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, and engineers to scope out features and product directions
- Level up the avatar system with customizable avatars, hats, props, etc.
- Create a community catalogue of awesome maps that anyone can submit to, upvote, and copy
- Enable more powerful tools and games to be used within Gather
- Create a system for adding bots/NPCs (e.g. dogs, DJs, etc) to spaces
- Write maintainable, clear, well-architected code, tests, and documentation
- Participate in code reviews and design reviews to ensure quality and good architecture
What you bring:
- Experience working with Typescript, React, and Redux
- Intrinsic motivation and the drive to solve difficult problems without guidance
- A keen intuition for well designed software and beautiful, usable interfaces
- Ability to ruthlessly prioritize in a chaotic and ambiguous environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
We are building a virtual universe which fundamentally improves how people interact online.
Today, that means a powerful remote-social platform. We already have people working out of our office spaces, attending our virtual conferences, or going to school on our campus spaces. We have folks hosting everything from magic conventions to artist EP launches to thanksgiving dinners, and even a few weddings.
The mission of Gather is to remove physical constraints on peoples' lives, and provide a virtual world which surpasses the real one in interconnectedness, personal touch, and expressiveness.
How's our team doing so far?
In a few short months, we've gone from nothing to millions of page views per month, >1 million monthly users in Gather spaces, and numerous paid events running around the clock. Every day, we hear that this "Pokemon x Zoom thing" is the video calling platform people didn't know they were missing.
Joining Gather means jumping on a fast-moving train where you'll get plenty of agency and the potential to have huge impact in an early-stage platform changing how people live and work. These are unsolved, open ended problems with tons of room (and need) for creativity. Help us take Gather to the next level!
- Work remotely out of a state-of-the-art virtual office!
- Competitive compensation, benefits, and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their dependents
- 401k and matching program
- Generous PTO policy and mental health days
- Work-from-home equipment stipend
- Meal stipend twice a week
- The opportunity to join a passionate team in building something that actually makes peoples' lives better, every single day
Gather Town is committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace for individuals of all backgrounds. We strive to build a workplace where employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work, everyday. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Additionally, we're committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please let us know at HR@gather.town. We also ask that all applicants consider answering the voluntary demographic questions on our job application to help us track the inclusivity of our recruiting efforts and programs. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary and your answers will not be shared with the hiring team and will not impact the hiring decision.