Our mission is to catalyze innovations that solve global problems and improve the lives of the world’s poorest people. We do this by incubating products, advocating for important causes, engaging with global organizations, and managing venture investments.
Gates Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Exemplars in Global Health (“EGH”) aims to adapt successful global health solutions to new contexts by conducting research and analysis to improve funding and policy decisions, both internally and externally. After three years of incubation, the program is expanding and scaling up. Our goals are to produce high quality research to drive improvements in how policymakers and funders deal with the most pressing global health challenges.
A successful candidate will own the end-to-end success of our work on one or more of our research programs in the women’s health space. This person will oversee efforts to understand how country policies have addressed these challenges in the past and adapt these lessons to our partners at funding organizations, NGOs, and governments. This is a 9-12 month backfill for parental leave, but with the possibility to extend or convert to a long-term role based on available opportunities.
This role will involve (1) shaping the primary research we are undertaking with several teams of academic researchers, (2) leading the translation of this research so it is accessible to a broader audience, with the help of journalists, product designers, and web developers, and (3) driving engagement with external stakeholders (e.g., health ministries, multilaterals, funders, technical advisors) to bridge the know-do gap from research to policy impact.
This team member will be supported by a topic analyst in each topic area who will drive project management and execute analysis for the overall program.
Ultimately, we seek to create a compelling product that will enrich the global dialogue around child health and nutrition and move the field in the right direction.
Research and product
- Lead the primary research process: guide the academic researchers, analysts, journalists, designers, product developers, and project managers who all play a role in shaping our stunting research and product
- Drive methodology and analytical approach to each topic, to ensure rigorous answers to the core research questions
- Play point on external requests for research and analytics on these topics, including designing and leading shorter analytical projects to respond to internal and external requests
- Ensure the highest standards for quality, rigor, and actionability in our research and product, as measured through frequent user input and testing cycles
- Manage topic analysts to ensure a high standard in project management and execution
- Build systems to improve quality, efficiency, speed, and scalability of the research process
Partnerships and dissemination
- Develop strong relationships with academic researchers, partner organizations, and global health decision-makers
- Identify opportunities for external partnerships and impact across topics
- Lead engagement with new potential partners and users
Technical assistance and services
- Engage key decision-makers directly with research, analytics and technical assistance
- Support design and development of new products and services to ensure impact of our research
- Build long-term plan to maximize impact of research on policy and funding decisions, in coordination with dissemination and advocacy partners
- 8-10+ years of experience in global health research, policy, or management consulting at a leading organization
- Deep subject-matter expertise in Women’s Health, Family Planning, or a related field
- Experience leading high-performing teams to hit aggressive goals
- Track record of increasing responsibility in competitive environments