Garner is a technology company that helps employers manage healthcare costs by matching their employees with the highest quality doctors in their local community. We use our proprietary doctor quality ranking algorithms, consumer-friendly engagement tools, and innovative financial incentives to lower out-of-pocket spending for employees while saving employers 10% or more on overall plan costs.
The company is led by former Oscar Health leadership, has secured funding from top-tier venture capital firms and is growing rapidly.
We’re looking for a lawyer to serve as the sole in-house counsel available on a daily basis to support our operations on a diverse range of legal needs for 20-30 hours per week. It’s a unique and exciting type of legal role: you’ll be helping the senior managers across all divisions of our company make key decisions. You’ll also be responsible for supervising the company’s day-to-day operations at a high level, and ensuring that it stays on sound legal footing with contractual counterparties, regulators, investors, etc. While you are expected to work well independently, you will also have access to Garner’s strategic legal advisors who have supervised the company’s legal processes thus far.
Candidates should have an appetite for working in a highly-regulated startup environment, and a willingness to be constantly learning about new kinds of technology and the legal regimes that govern them. Less conventional candidates with demonstrated high intelligence and ability to learn quickly are encouraged to apply.
Garner is headquartered in NYC, but this position is also available for individuals who are comfortable with remote work. If remote, the ability to easily visit our NYC office when needed is preferred.
Responsibilities Will Include:
- Serve as sole in-house counsel available for day-to-day needs of senior and mid-level management. Provide general legal oversight and advice to all divisions of the company.
- Draft, review, negotiate, and manage a variety of contractual agreements, including NDAs, Master Service Agreements, Offer Letters, and other commercial documents.
- Supervise legal components of Garner’s relationship with its clients. This includes ensuring that relevant Plan Documents (as required by ERISA) are drafted and in place, etc.
- Coordinate with outside counsel on matters that require deep subject-specific expertise
- Spot regulatory and compliance issues raised by new products under development by the Company.
- Manage cybersecurity compliance regime, including reviewing policies and tracking compliance.
- Analyze, identify, and manage legal risks faced by the Company.
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- 5+ years’ relevant experience (either before or after law school).
- A J.D. from top 20 law school preferred.
- Bar admissions: NY preferred.
- A willingness and ability to gain high-level understanding quickly of regulatory and compliance frameworks that apply to our business, including ERISA, HIPAA, and SOC 2.
- Strong writing skills.
- No fear of technical concepts that are central to Garner’s product, including data storage, encryption, user authentication methods, cloud computing, etc.
- Experience negotiating and understanding complicated commercial agreements involving sensitive data. Attention to detailed commercial contract provisions is a must.
- Ability to draft and communicate internal legal policies and procedures that will govern company operations as Garner’s operations grow and mature.