We are out of time. Change must be immediate. We have to help the world find alternative ways to produce all the same things we love. But better. Using less land, less water, less energy, and making less waste. If you think that sounds like a mission, well, you are right. We are solving the world’s most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world. GALY is an early-stage company developing novel in vitro plant cell culture methods to produce cotton, coffee, and other plant products in a process that is faster and uses fewer resources than if grown in the ground. GALY's environment is built so everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, or background, can do their best work.
We are the movers and the shakers that have taken the leap from traditional agriculture to cellular agriculture. GALY is an early-stage company developing novel in vitro plant cell culture methods to produce cotton, coffee, and other plant products in a process that is faster and uses fewer resources than if grown in the ground. We value curious, creative and enthusiastic individuals who share our passion for improving the world through technology. In joining GALY, you will be a part of our diverse, Open Build culture driven by collaboration, science and technology. Learn more about us and our culture by visiting our LinkedIn page!
We are searching for a Head of Bioinformatics to help us create and execute a high-quality data science strategy. You will be responsible for building and managing a team of data scientists at both our Boston headquarters and our São Paulo, Brazil site, who will help team members across all functional areas of GALY use data to accelerate the company’s progress. As GALY continues to grow, the scope of this role will expand and offer exciting opportunities for personal and professional development!
Role & Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with senior leadership to create a strategy for Data Science/Bioinformatics to accelerate the achievement of company objectives
- Build a world-class team of excellent data scientists and mentor them, creating a clear growth path for them within the company
- Build data visualizations and machine learning recommendations with commercial, production, and scientific data to solve company challenges
- Prepare budgets and manage operational expenses for all data science activities
- Develop, enhance, and maintain technical documentation for all aspects of the data platform
- Build infrastructure for multiple independent, cross-functional, and business-critical processes
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, or similar
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a Data Science or Bioinformatics role in an industrial biotechnology or life sciences organization, with 2+ years in a leadership role
- Demonstrated experience cleaning complex, multi-source, multi-year, and multi-location datasets
- Advanced proficiency with standard tools for bioinformatics data analysis and visualization such as Python, R, and JMP
- Expertise in writing machine learning algorithms to make recommendations for scientific and commercial operations
- Proven experience building a computational environment from the ground up
- Ability to effectively communicate findings from data analyses with a variety of technical and non-technical stakeholders
Nice-to-haves (but not required):
- Experience working as part of a venture capital funded start-up company
- Experience working with bioinformatics data specific to plant cell biology
- Comfortability with the Agile software development methodology
Work environment/physical demands:
- This position will be on-site in Boston
- Expect light travel ~10% to the Brazil site
What we offer at GALY:
- A nimble organization with plenty of growth opportunities
- Competitive total compensation
- Excellent full-time benefits that include comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage; as well as life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Holidays and Paid Time Off; which includes company paid vacation during the last two weeks of December
- Relocation assistance for non-local talent
- Additional benefits include: allowance for food, transportation and continuing education
GALY is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity and inclusion in the workspace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding), genetic information, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Who we are:
GALY is growing the future. We are an army of dreamers that believe scientists are the artists of a new era. We envision a world where we can still produce sought-after materials without the physical burden we place on the planet and its people, especially those without opportunity. That is why we are revolutionizing the way we produce goods today by building a much more sustainable and distributable form of agriculture. However, nobody takes innovation seriously until you scale it. We are on it! By developing novel scale-up strategies for in-vitro production of cotton that have never been done on an industrial scale, we will achieve something truly new. To do this, we are gathering a team with highly diverse skills and experiences, ranging from genetic engineering, plant cell culture, sterile process development, bioreactor design, mathematics, statistics agriculture, high-performance automation, stylists, illustrators, fashion designers, creative business development, marketing and branding strategies. A group on a mission to save our planet. We are scientists. We are artists. We are GALY.