We are out of time. Change must be immediate. We have to help the world find alternative ways to produce all the same things we love. But better. Using less land, less water, less energy, and making less waste. If you think that sounds like a mission, well, you are right. We are solving the world’s most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world. GALY is an early-stage company developing novel in vitro plant cell culture methods to produce cotton, coffee, and other plant products in a process that is faster and uses fewer resources than if grown in the ground. GALY's environment is built so everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, or background, can do their best work.
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting-edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world. As part of the Fiber Development team within process development, you will be scaling up the team’s R&D and transform it into a production process for the development of Incredible Cotton. Cotton growth and maturation require several distinct developmental stages of cell wall development, each of which needs to be managed and improved in our production process. The successful candidate will perform experiments with a product development mindset, and be engaged in novel bioreactor development. You will perform experiments, analyze and interpret data, communicate results, and make recommendations to drive forward a strategy for scalable, Incredible Cotton. The candidate will be able to identify areas of optimization in the existing production pipeline. His/her ability to learn quickly, thrive in the lab environment, and optimize workflows are important to support and help GALY fulfill its mission. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
Here’s what You’ll Do:
- Lead and drive lab-scale and pilot scale bioreactor operations and cell culture harvest experiments, including testing of novel technologies, processes, and fiber development parameters.
- Plan, execute, and analyze fiber development experiments with complex data sets to understand mass balances and metabolic shifts.
- Plan further experiments based on data and objectives.
- Develops experiments in scaled-down Proof of Concept (PoC) models which can be scaled up
- Optimize media and environmental factors for effective fiber development;
- Maintain detailed and organized records of your work, project data, and other information as needed;
- Analyze data to present reports and participate in scientific discussions and presentations to peers and management;
- Work with colleagues to troubleshoot and develop effective solutions when problems occur;
- Work alongside passionate people who want to change the world!
Education & Qualifications:
- Ph.D in tissue engineering, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering or closely related science with 1 year of industry experience; OR BS/MS candidates with 3-5 years of industry experience in biopharmaceutical, cell therapy, sustainable tech or cellular agriculture;
- Industry experience in process development;
- Hands-on ability to fabricate PoC devices for process development;
- Proficiency in R or similar language, with ability to analyze complex data;
- Comfortable with traditional bioreactor scaling concepts and applying concepts to cellular agriculture/fiber development;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment;
- Comfortable developing scientific knowledge base by learning new methods from peers, seminars, and scientific literature;
- Expert in G Suite/MS Office;
- Strong sense of ambition and initiative;
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Sunderland, MA, USA.
Galy will soon be moving to Boston.
What We Offer:
- Fast-paced environment with rapid growth opportunities
- Excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Relocation assistance for non-local talent
- Paid vacation and holidays
GALY is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status by applicable law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Who we are:
GALY is growing the future. We are an army of dreamers that believe scientists are the artists of a new era. We envision a world where we can still produce sought-after materials without the physical burden we place on the planet and its people, especially those without opportunity. That is why we are revolutionizing the way we produce goods today by building a much more sustainable and distributable form of agriculture. However, nobody takes innovation seriously until you scale it. We are on it! By developing novel scale-up strategies for in-vitro production of cotton that have never been done on an industrial scale, we will achieve something truly new. To do this, we are gathering a team with highly diverse skills and experiences, ranging from genetic engineering, plant cell culture, sterile process development, bioreactor design, mathematics, statistics agriculture, high-performance automation, stylists, illustrators, fashion designers, creative business development, marketing and branding strategies. A group on a mission to save our planet. We are scientists. We are artists. We are GALY.