We are out of time. Change must be immediate. We have to help the world find alternative ways to produce all the same things we love. But better. Using less land, less water, less energy, and making less waste. If you think that sounds like a mission, well, you are right. We are solving the world’s most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world. GALY is an early-stage company developing novel in vitro plant cell culture methods to produce cotton, coffee, and other plant products in a process that is faster and uses fewer resources than if grown in the ground. GALY's environment is built so everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, or background, can do their best work.
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting-edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world.
Open Builder is the position opened for GALY's first Trainee Program. In the recruiting process GALY will require from the candidate the fulfillment of several cultural, logical and behavior tests, as well as going through interviews, case study preparation and presentation and work group dynamics. We want to recruit those who we believe have what it takes to be at GALY!
We seek a Sr. Scientist with experience in plants and an interest in biotechnology. The scientist in this role will utilize molecular tools and techniques to support the company’s research into novel plant cellular agriculture. The successful candidate will assist in executing existing assays and contribute to the development of novel assays. An ability to learn quickly, thrive in a lab environment, and being a team player are important to support and help Galy fulfill its mission. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
Here’s What You’ll do:
- Lead lab molecular techniques, including nucleic acid extraction, handling, and manipulation, molecular cloning, and bacterial handling and transformation
- Develop and execute new techniques to discover genes and conditions that impact plant cell traits
- Use creativity in engineering approaches to test the effectiveness of candidate genes on cell physiology
- Use multiple techniques to measure gene and transgene expression
- Utilize scientific literature to plan assays, troubleshoot, gain knowledge and skills, and generate new ideas
- Deliver regular progress reports
- Work alongside and eventually manage passionate researchers who want to change the world
Required Education & Qualifications:
- PhD (finishing or 1-2 years after degree) in biological sciences, chemistry, genetics, pharma, and all engineer degrees
- Ability to use standard laptop applications (e.g. Microsoft Office)
- Advanced English (written and spoken)
- Laboratory experience (classroom experience is acceptable)
- São Paulo, Brazil
What We Offer:
- Fast-paced environment with rapid growth opportunities
- Excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid vacation and holidays
GALY is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status by applicable law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Who we are:
GALY is growing the future. We are an army of dreamers that believe scientists are the artists of a new era. We envision a world where we can still produce sought-after materials without the physical burden we place on the planet and its people, especially those without opportunity. That is why we are revolutionizing the way we produce goods today by building a much more sustainable and distributable form of agriculture. However, nobody takes innovation seriously until you scale it. We are on it! By developing novel scale-up strategies for in-vitro production of cotton that have never been done on an industrial scale, we will achieve something truly new. To do this, we are gathering a team with highly diverse skills and experiences, ranging from genetic engineering, plant cell culture, sterile process development, bioreactor design, mathematics, statistics agriculture, high-performance automation, stylists, illustrators, fashion designers, creative business development, marketing and branding strategies. A group on a mission to save our planet. We are scientists. We are artists. We are GALY.