We are out of time. Change must be immediate. We have to help the world find alternative ways to produce all the same things we love. But better. Using less land, less water, less energy, and making less waste. If you think that sounds like a mission, well, you are right. We are solving the world’s most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world. GALY is an early-stage company developing novel in vitro plant cell culture methods to produce cotton, coffee, and other plant products in a process that is faster and uses fewer resources than if grown in the ground. GALY's environment is built so everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, or background, can do their best work.
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting-edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world. As a Jr. Scientist working on the Fiber Development team, you will be developing a heterotrophic plant cell culture process to deliver healthy, clean plant cells from culture to contribute to the development of Incredible Cotton. Cotton growth and maturation require several distinct developmental stages of cell wall development, each of which needs to be managed and improved in our culture process. The successful candidate will assist in executing existing assays and contribute to the development of novel assays. The candidate will be able to identify areas of optimization in the existing R&D pipeline. His/her ability to learn quickly, thrive in the lab environment, and optimize workflows are important to support and help GALY fulfill its mission. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
Here’s what You’ll Do:
- Conduct common tissue and cell culture lab assays as well as tissue fixation and staining, confocal microscopy, and image analysis;
- Sterilize and initiate explant material into tissue culture from greenhouse or field plants;
- Oversee scheduled routine transferring of sterile cultures to fresh media;
- Optimize media and environmental factors for effective plant culture growth;
- Supervise lab technicians on day-to-day laboratory processes;
- Maintain detailed and organized records of your work, project data, and other information as needed;
- Analyze data to present reports and participate in scientific discussions and presentations to peers and management;
- Work with colleagues to troubleshoot and develop effective solutions when problems occur;
- Work alongside passionate people who want to change the world!
Education & Qualifications:
- B.S. in Plant Biology, Biotechnology, Engineering, or other STEM-related fields with 2+ years of experience in plant cell culture and plant tissue analysis;
- Experience in plant biotechnology, process engineering, molecular biology, plant development, biochemistry, and/or physiology highly desirable;
- Experience with designing and executing experiments, optimizing protocols, and analyzing data from assays for plant cell research;
- Microscopic plant tissue analysis/plant tissue analysis through microscopic techniques strongly desirable (i.e. confocal, bright field, polarized light);
- Expert in G Suite/MS Office;
- Strong sense of ambition and initiative;
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Sunderland, MA - U.S. Work Visa Required. We will soon be moving to Boston.
What We Offer:
- Fast-paced environment with rapid growth opportunities;
- Excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options;
- Life and disability insurance;
- 401(k) with company match;
- Paid vacation and holidays.
GALY is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status by applicable law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Who we are:
GALY is growing the future. We are an army of dreamers that believe scientists are the artists of a new era. We envision a world where we can still produce sought-after materials without the physical burden we place on the planet and its people, especially those without opportunity. That is why we are revolutionizing the way we produce goods today by building a much more sustainable and distributable form of agriculture. However, nobody takes innovation seriously until you scale it. We are on it! By developing novel scale-up strategies for in-vitro production of cotton that have never been done on an industrial scale, we will achieve something truly new. To do this, we are gathering a team with highly diverse skills and experiences, ranging from genetic engineering, plant cell culture, sterile process development, bioreactor design, mathematics, statistics agriculture, high-performance automation, stylists, illustrators, fashion designers, creative business development, marketing and branding strategies. A group on a mission to save our planet. We are scientists. We are artists. We are GALY.