We are out of time. Change must be immediate. We have to help the world find alternative ways to produce all the same things we love. But better. Using less land, less water, less energy, and making less waste. If you think that sounds like a mission, well, you are right. We are solving the world’s most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world. GALY is an early-stage company developing novel in vitro plant cell culture methods to produce cotton, coffee, and other plant products in a process that is faster and uses fewer resources than if grown in the ground. GALY's environment is built so everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, or background, can do their best work.
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting-edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world. As a Sr. Plant Cell Biologist, you will be responsible for conducting laboratory activities involving the screening, selection, stabilization, and isolation of a high-producing cell line and carrying out experiments to test different culture conditions. This position involves working primarily in a laboratory setting. As such this position requires the ability to stand or sit on the bench, and the use of standard laboratory equipment as well as computers and office equipment. They also use research skills to find new applications for cell culture and develop new methods of cell preservation. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
Here’s What You’ll do:
- Physiological characterization and analysis of plant cell wall traits;
- Utilize literature to prioritize gene, hormone, and environmental condition targets for plant cell culture trait manipulation;
- Biochemical analysis using High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), or Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS);
- Designing and conducting experiments using microscopes and other equipment such as centrifuges, spectrophotometers, or gel electrophoresis machines to study cells under a variety of conditions
- Map and manipulate biosynthetic pathways required for cell wall development;
- Characterize activity of target genes;
- Conduct common lab assays such as nucleic acid extraction, tissue fixation and staining, confocal microscopy, and image analysis;
- Design and implement new methods for identifying cell damage or defects in order to improve diagnosis techniques.
- Conduct experiments to determine how cells respond to different stimuli such as stress, toxins, or other factors
- Record data about experimental results, including experimental design and methods used
- Develop new methods of cell culture, find new applications for cell culture and develop new methods of cell preservation.
- Analyze findings to create reports on research activities and results
Required Education & Qualifications:
- Advanced degree in Plant Cell Biology, Biotechnology, Plant Biochemistry, and Physiology or related fields.
- Post-Doc. or PhD. with 4+ years of experience in the biotechnology or related industry;
- Must have experience with Cotton Plant Tissue Culture.
Optional Education & Qualifications:
- Experience with Fiber Development
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Experience in Plant Tissue Culture and relevant field is considered an asset
- São Paulo, SP
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary;
- Meal tickets;
- Health insurance;
- Childcare assistance;
- Assistance for physical activities (Gympass);
- Transportation/fuel tickets.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Who we are:
GALY is growing the future. We are an army of dreamers that believe scientists are the artists of a new era. We envision a world where we can still produce sought-after materials without the physical burden we place on the planet and its people, especially those without opportunity. That is why we are revolutionizing the way we produce goods today by building a much more sustainable and distributable form of agriculture. However, nobody takes innovation seriously until you scale it. We are on it! By developing novel scale-up strategies for in-vitro production of cotton that have never been done on an industrial scale, we will achieve something truly new. To do this, we are gathering a team with highly diverse skills and experiences, ranging from genetic engineering, plant cell culture, sterile process development, bioreactor design, mathematics, statistics agriculture, high-performance automation, stylists, illustrators, fashion designers, creative business development, marketing and branding strategies. A group on a mission to save our planet. We are scientists. We are artists. We are GALY.